Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 4402-25.K9

1998thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community!

Does anybody know if the “Cisco WLC 4402-25-K9” Wireless Controller supports the "Cisco AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9" Access Points?

If I buy this controller secondhand, are there any licenses to pay per month or year?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It sure does.  It should come with a licence for 25 access points.

HOWEVER, you can get a Cisco 2504 WLC with 25 licences for not very much - and given the choice I would rather have the much newer 2504.

Currently in my part of the world there is a promo where you can get a 2504 and two access points for about the price as just the two access points - so you can basically get a 2504 for free.

Personally I wouldn't bother with an old 4402 because of this.

Note that you would only be able to run older software on the 2504 as 1142's stopped being supported a while ago.

View solution in original post

One thing I'll add the controller can't support past 7.0 code .. I have a few of these in my lab. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It sure does.  It should come with a licence for 25 access points.

HOWEVER, you can get a Cisco 2504 WLC with 25 licences for not very much - and given the choice I would rather have the much newer 2504.

Currently in my part of the world there is a promo where you can get a 2504 and two access points for about the price as just the two access points - so you can basically get a 2504 for free.

Personally I wouldn't bother with an old 4402 because of this.

Note that you would only be able to run older software on the 2504 as 1142's stopped being supported a while ago.

Well, thank you very much!

It is an old controller, I know ;) but since I want to buy it for me at home with 10 APs, it would be a very cheap option. 

One more question:

I saw this controller on ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cisco-AIR-WLC4402-25-K9-WLAN-Wireless-Lan-Controller-f-up-to-25-Lightweight-APs-/291307949329?hash=item43d34e8d11:m:myZt1TWIW5_pGOTV0hNXBkA

here I saw in the configuration (which has the seller provided) that there is no wireless g and wireless n option. Only b and a.

State of 802.11b Network......................... Enabled
State of 802.11a Network......................... Enabled

Is n and g possible?

Also is it possible to broadcast multiple SSIDs in different VLANs?

Here the link to the APs I want to buy. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9-as-a-AIR-AP1142N-A-K9-with-IOS-Version-15-3-/171982238252?hash=item280af0b22c:g:wL8AAOSwe7BWt3Oz

The controller should work with the APs?

All together it should be very cheap ;)

Yes I see why you are interested in the unit you can't bet the cost !

Cisco 4400 Series Wireless LAN Controller supports 802.11a/b/g and the IEEE 802.11n

Here is the link to Cisco Data sheet http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/4100-series-wireless-lan-controllers/product_data_sheet0900aecd802570b0.html

The unit does not come with copper ports so you will need to purchase copper modules GLC-T  or fiber modules SFT..  you can find third party ones on ebay for cheap.

Yes you can more then 1 SSID on the same VLAN. 

Have FUN

One thing I'll add the controller can't support past 7.0 code .. I have a few of these in my lab. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

If you ever wonder what aps and controllers support what code reference this Cisco wireless matrix 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Sorry I'm a newbie in wireless networks; which code do you mean; the code on the APs? If yes, can I downgrade them?

No worries that's why we are here .. The code you put on the WLC pushes down to the ap. The 4400 can't support past 7.0 code .. 

See attached 

what this means if you needed or wanted to go to 8.x for any reason this controller can't support it .. 

Many thanks! :)

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

1998thomas

Yes,  the 4402-25-K9 will support 1142 APs,  and included 25 AP licenses,  as indicated by the -25- in the model number.  Please be aware Cisco is not providing major software upgrades for this product anymore AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-252-0.aes  is the latest version of code for this device.

The licenses are built in so you don't have any yearly or month fees for AP licenses.

Well, thank you very much!

It is an old controller, I know ;) but since I want to buy it for me at home with 10 APs, it would be a very cheap option. 

One more question:

I saw this controller on ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cisco-AIR-WLC4402-25-K9-WLAN-Wireless-Lan-Controller-f-up-to-25-Lightweight-APs-/291307949329?hash=item43d34e8d11:m:myZt1TWIW5_pGOTV0hNXBkA

here I saw in the configuration (which has the seller provided) that there is no wireless g and wireless n option. Only b and a.

State of 802.11b Network......................... Enabled
State of 802.11a Network......................... Enabled

Is n and g possible?

Also is it possible to broadcast multiple SSIDs in different VLANs?

Here the link to the APs I want to buy. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9-as-a-AIR-AP1142N-A-K9-with-IOS-Version-15-3-/171982238252?hash=item280af0b22c:g:wL8AAOSwe7BWt3Oz

The controller should work with the APs?

All together it should be very cheap ;)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card