cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wlc question for scheduled reboot

ksoltani
Level 1
Level 1

As best practice, is it a good solution to do a reboot Wi-Fi controller and AP Cisco for sheduled reboot
Is there a guide in the Cisco that talks about restarting Wi-Fi controller for refresh, for example, every month, or sometimes every quarter there are odd behaviors that I can’t solve problems like Wi-Fi disconnections in an industrial warehouse

10 Replies 10

Hi

I agree that it is a good idea schedule a reload. I dont see extended uptime period as a good thing. This denote that the device were not upgraded for long time which is not good.

However, I dont believe Cisco or any other version will release a document say "reload this device time to time is required".

This will advocate againt the vendor. Why you need to reload. Usually you reload facing some problem. And from the vendor perspective, there might be no problem, right? Otherwise, why they dont fix the problem ?

Long store short, this is a good practice but I dont believe vendor will say that.

@Flavio Miranda thank you very much for your feedback and for the information,

as I said in the Industrial Environment, I have users who worked with the Zebra TC8000 and connected by wi-fi and happens sometimes worry about disconnecting Wi-Fi, when I look at the Wi-Fi controller no problem good I restart the APs 

but if I was planning to restart the controller every month or well every quarter is what can be done the refraishing

Yeah, for sure. I´ve seeing cisco device with 6 years uptime, even more. This is not good. I dont know if monthly is necessary but at least once a year or six month.

If you had Cisco Prime, you can schedule the reboot and it will do it automatically for you. But, if not, you can also do it on the WLC directly.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are the APs 2800/3800/4800?

@Leo Laohoo the APs is: AIR-AP1562E-E-K9, AIR-CAP2702I-E-K9, AIR-AP2802E-E-K9, AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9, C9115AXE-E I have several types

Are the problems more evident when the clients are connected to a 2800?

yes I received complaints for customers connected through the AP like 2800

What firmware is the controller on?

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Best practice is what the vendor who created and written the code for the device recommends, so I wouldn't agree rebooting a WLC once in a while must be part of maintenance plan unless Cisco specifically request you to do so or it is documented somewhere. Instead try to zoom in to the problem you are facing and try to solve it. 

For example if you are trying to solve RF issues by reloading the WLC and AP's instead look at customizing your RF profiles as per the requirements at the site or change AP positions, add more AP's etc. You can even restart the complete RRM process without rebooting the WLC.

@Arshad Safrulla thank you for your information, yes I followed the Cisco guides, I use for the Ekahau survey site
and see the quality of radio channel even I do profile customization
My question is simply what can be done about rebooting planning for example by quarter or well semester for the renitialization and refraishisment 

Is Cisco for Wi-Fi offering this as a best practice especially in the industrial environment used a lot Wi-Fi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card