Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO WLC - VMWare and additional network ports

Hi Everyone

Hardware wise, I manage a CISCO 5508 and a 8540 wireless lan controllers, so am familiar around the GUI.

With the release of the VMWare Cisco WLC, this is ideal for a lab environment for development and testing. However anyone who has used this will know out of the box it only supports 2 nics (one for service and one for management / data).

The question:

How do you add additional network ports? In VMWare, this is easy, but how do you get the CISCO config to recognise them? I have searched for forums and other areas, but can't seem to find anyone who has done this.

Cheers

Christian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes you're right, you can use only 2 NICs on VmWLC. Never tried to add other NICs.

But what you want to do? Is it to add virtual interface on your WLC?

If Yes, you can set your VmWare interface as a trunk and then create all your virtual WLC interface by setting the vlan id. Does that make sense for you?

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes you're right, you can use only 2 NICs on VmWLC. Never tried to add other NICs.

But what you want to do? Is it to add virtual interface on your WLC?

If Yes, you can set your VmWare interface as a trunk and then create all your virtual WLC interface by setting the vlan id. Does that make sense for you?

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Ian

Thanks for the quick response, I thought that was the case and I am currently using trunks - it is more a case of I wonder if it can be done?

Hi

you have no possibility to add a new NIC within the WLC. Even you had it on VMWare, your wlc will not be able to manage it. 

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card