Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco

chetankharche
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have purchased Cisco 2504 wireless controller and 1142 AP. I  was under the assumption that the AP's can be directly plugged into the  controller. But it looks like this is not the case. Can anyone confirm  it for me please?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chetan,

I hope you may be able to use this as a 4 port hub to connect your WLC and AP's since M20 ports does not support any VLAN configurations as far as i know. But again since this has only 4 ports you would be able to connect only three AP's and one port will be used by the controller. If you have any three AP's in your network i was just wondering why did you go with a controller based solution rather than standalone AP's?

It would be ideal for you to get a poe enabled switch if you have more than 3 AP's in your network.

Regards

Najaf

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chetan,

I hope you may be able to use this as a 4 port hub to connect your WLC and AP's since M20 ports does not support any VLAN configurations as far as i know. But again since this has only 4 ports you would be able to connect only three AP's and one port will be used by the controller. If you have any three AP's in your network i was just wondering why did you go with a controller based solution rather than standalone AP's?

It would be ideal for you to get a poe enabled switch if you have more than 3 AP's in your network.

Regards

Najaf

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

On the 2500 WLC it is not supported to have access points connected to the WLC ports, since it is not supported it may or may not work.

The Power over Ethernet (PoE) ports on the Cisco  2500 Series Wireless Controller will not support directly attached APs.

Here is the deployment guide of the 2500 WLC so you can check on the correct depolyment or setup options for the 2500 WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11630/products_tech_note09186a0080b8450c.shtml

Also since the WLCis only a layer 2 device it supports VLANS but it does not do any layer 3 routing and due to this the WLC needs to relay on a layer 3 device that supports VLANs and does layer 3 routing like alayer 3 switch for example.

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

With the current equipment you have you could connect the 2500 to the Valet, on the other left ports connect 3 APs and you will need to work with all the devices on the same subnet or VLAN since the Valet does not support VLANs or subnets.

Hi Chetan,

I just implemented wirelss at my work place and i used CISCO WLC 2504 and 1142AP. I alos bought a 3560 POE switch. I would recommend for you to just buy that than you don't have to worry about vlan's etc.

Thanks

Umar

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card