cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clearing a 5520 Configuration File From the 9800 Migration Converter

8uck5nort
Level 1
Level 1

I imported a 5520 configuration file into a 9800-CL controller migration tool. This was done to simply cross reference some configuration. What I did not realize is there does not appear to be an easy way to clear the configuration file and remove any possibility that this can be applied in error. Is it possible to remove and unwanted/unneeded 5520 configuration? If so, how?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

very - good - question!

I'd never tried the built in converter before - I've always only used the web version (hint - use that in future <smile>)
So I tried the WLC GUI version and I can't find anywhere in GUI or CLI  to clear the uploaded AireOS config either.
I've also searched through all the visible file systems and don't see anything obvious there either so I'd guess it's somewhere in the underlying Linux file system which we don't have access to.

The best workaround I could come up with is to just upload an empty file (just one blank line) to the converter replacing the AireOS config.  The converter prints a bunch of default comments but there's zero converted config so even if somebody applied it by mistake it wouldn't do anything.

It looks like this needs an enhancement request to allow clearing the uploaded config and resetting to default/blank state if anybody wants to try raising it - maybe @Javier Contreras ?

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally i do not reply on the Migration tool it help for reference.

But if you are new to Cat 9800 - i would suggest to create from scratch so you understand what has been changed from airos to Cat IOS XE - so it will help you troublehsooting easy.

Like reference below :

balajibandi_0-1708774894579.png

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2023/pdf/BRKEWN-2338.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Best is to take another approach and review the resulting configuration on the 9800-CL (when implementing) with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed that into : Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@8uck5nort 

The migration tools can simplify multiple things, but better check all config to make sure nothing is missing or converted wrongly. It can be a really headche during the cutover!

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

8uck5nort
Level 1
Level 1

I appreciate the responses and I apologize if I missed the answer in the above replies.

I actually have a working 9800 configuration (mostly, still ironing out some central web authent/author issues with ISE) that I have migrated from a 5520 using a combination of techniques. I did not use the built in tool to do this portion. I basically was using the tool as a configuration analyzer/viewer to cross reference the converted configs with some of my running configs while troubleshooting. There is no obvious way to remove an uploaded 5520 config once you decide you no longer need it.

What I was specifically wanting to know is how does one remove the uploaded 5520 config out of the 9800 migration tool in the controller itself.

It is seems to me that there is no easy way to do this and that once uploaded it just kinda hangs around with that big "Apply" button wanting to be pushed. I tried manually deleting out the configuration but it just returns the next time you open the tool in the controller. It seems to me the uploaded file itself needs to be deleted to remove it out of the tool. I did not try and find it flash yet. I want to ask if anyone knew of a way to  do this or was missing something really obvious (which is always possible).

Hope this helps to clarify how I got to the issue and what the issue is.

Edited for grammer.

8uck5nort

>...What I was specifically wanting to know is how does one remove the uploaded 5520 config out of the 9800 migration tool in the controller itself.
  - Don't understand  when  using https://cway.cisco.com/wlc-config-converter/ and choosing aireos to 9800 (below) ; you will get a designated 9800 (running) config file only , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 - @8uck5nort is referring to the same converter tool built into the 9800 GUI menus, not the web based tool which is what we recommend people use (which will also always have the latest updates and bug fixes).

- @Rich R Ok           ; @8uck5nort : so use https://cway.cisco.com/wlc-config-converter/   instead,

M.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

very - good - question!

I'd never tried the built in converter before - I've always only used the web version (hint - use that in future <smile>)
So I tried the WLC GUI version and I can't find anywhere in GUI or CLI  to clear the uploaded AireOS config either.
I've also searched through all the visible file systems and don't see anything obvious there either so I'd guess it's somewhere in the underlying Linux file system which we don't have access to.

The best workaround I could come up with is to just upload an empty file (just one blank line) to the converter replacing the AireOS config.  The converter prints a bunch of default comments but there's zero converted config so even if somebody applied it by mistake it wouldn't do anything.

It looks like this needs an enhancement request to allow clearing the uploaded config and resetting to default/blank state if anybody wants to try raising it - maybe @Javier Contreras ?

I appreciate the replies.

I will try the "upload a blank config" solution.

I am meeting with our Cisco reps shortly and will bring this up to them.

@marce1000It is the built in Configuration Tool in the WLC itself. I apologize if I did not clarify this in my issue description.

8uck5nort_0-1708948722667.png

@Rich RThe blank config workaround worked and appears to remove the potential of applying an unwanted config. In all reality there may have been no real danger of that happening, but it was unsettling. Hopefully they will address this.

8uck5nort_1-1708949116301.png

edited for spacing after the call outs.

- Anyways : remember to use the WirelessAnalyzer procedure too before starting to use the 9800-CL as outlined before :

Use  the CLI command show tech wireless and feed that into : Wireless Config Analyzer
                                      This should be considered mandatory stuff!

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card