Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 buildings

Jim.Kiddoo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do I need 2 bridges to connect 2 buildings? They are only about 100 feet apart. can I go from AP to bridge?

Thanks

Sincerely

Jim

12 Replies 12

ayden
Level 1
Level 1

You can use a bridge on one end and AP on the other. Be sure to set the configuration role on the bridge for Bridge and AP. I have used a bridge and several ap's at a school with trailors for connectivity

You can NOT use an AP and bridge to go from wired LAN to wired LAN over a radio link

You can use an AP as a repeater but in this configuration the ethernet port will NOT pass traffic and is only of use to other WLAN devices

The devices need for

-----ethernet lan---BR350 -----radio link----BR350---ethernet lan

The only opion you have is a pair of 350 bridges or if you have less than 8 ethernet clients on the remote lan and the radio link is less than 300ft then you can use an access point and a work group bridge

sandeepjha
Level 1
Level 1

hey Jim..

you will have to use 2 APs in order to use it like a bridge....

there can be only one of the three scenarios with the AP

1. ethernet>>>>AP1-----wireless card (access point)

2. ethernet>>>>>AP1--------AP2>>>>ethernet(bridge)

3. wireless card----------AP-----------wirelesscard(like a repeater)

thanks and byee

I am not sure what you mean in example 2.

The only way to have an AP associate to another AP is in repeater mode in repeater mode the AP will not pass traffic out the ethernet port.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/wlan/matrix-19242.html

A BR can be configured as a AP but a AP can not be configured as a BR.

yes... you are correct.....

i was worong... thanks again... sandeep

ADOT
Level 1
Level 1

You can run an AP in the building with the wired infrastructure and a Workgroup Bridge to connect the buildings. Then, patch the Ethernet jack on the WGB to an Ethernet Switch / Hub for your wired clients in the remote office.

I've done this and it works great.

But 8 clients, only?

Yes. It is only good for very small offices!

And for a short range between the offices

What does range have to do with it? The range is limited by the power output maximum on the AP and WGB (100mW) and the gain of the antennas.

The limiting factor for range on any WiFi device is the time window for receive, this is fixed in the standards and works out to be about 1 mile. (the time taken for a radio wave to travel at the speed of light) As you pointed out with the right transmit power and high gain antennas you can transmit further than 1 mile (BR350 is proof of this) but you with have unreliable communications with any device past this and will cause collisions on your network.

This is why the BR350 has a parameter called Bridge distance. By changing that you are tunning this receive window timer. A Bridge is not listed in the 802.11 standards so you are open to change this setting on a bridge but not in an AP.

Thank you.

Obviously, I had no idea.

This is great information and good to know.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card