Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting a C9124AXI-E as mesh to multiple AP

O.K.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

We have got an interesting request and at this point I couldn't find any clear documentation if this request feasible. 

The customer wants to mount security cameras on the forklifts. The problem is the wireless antennas are so weak on selected cameras. The proposed solution is, mounting an access point on the forklift so that they can connect the cameras via LAN cables to that access point. The access point which mounted to the forklift will be moving around the facility and connect to other access point via mesh. 

The question here is, if we configure the AP on the forklift as MAP (mesh AP), can I configure multiple cable connected APs as RAP (root AP)? 

The documentation here  (under Restrictions and Limitations /  Mesh Deployments) is a bit unclear to me. 

I'm adding a drawing below if in case is the desired setup not understandable from my explanation. 

I hope someone has deeper information about the topic. Thank you in advance!

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @O.K. 

Basically what you want to achieve is using the Access Point as a client and do roaming among others APs.  I think you can take advantage of the Work Group Bridge functionality.

"

WGB Roaming Guidelines

Follow these guidelines for WGB roaming:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/workgroup_bridges.html

Your AP does support this feature:

• Configuring a WGB for roaming—If a WGB is mobile, you can configure it to scan for a better radio connection to a parent access point or bridge. Use the ap(config-if)#mobile station period 3 threshold 50 command to configure the workgroup bridge as a mobile station.

When you enable this setting, the WGB scans for a new parent association when it encounters a poor Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI), excessive radio interference, or a high frame-loss percentage. Using these criteria, a WGB configured as a mobile station searches for a new parent association and roams to a new parent before it loses its current association. When the mobile station setting is disabled (the default setting), a WGB does not search for a new association until it loses its current association.

• Configuring a WGB for Limited Channel Scanning—In mobile environments such as railroads, a WGB instead of scanning all the channels is restricted to scan only a set of limited channels to reduce the hand-off delay when the WGB roams from one access point to another. By limiting the number of channels, the WGB scans only those required channels; the mobile WGB achieves and maintains a continuous wireless LAN connection with fast and smooth roaming. This limited channel set is configured using the ap(config-if)#mobile station scan set of channels .

This command invokes scanning to all or specified channels. There is no limitation on the maximum number of channels that can be configured. The maximum number of channels that can be configured is restricted only by the number of channels that a radio can support. When executed, the WGB scans only this limited channel set. This limited channel feature also affects the known channel list that the WGB receives from the access point to which it is currently associated. Channels are added to the known channel list only if they are also part of the limited channel set."

There´s a concern about what you are trying to achieve which is the roaming between APs. We know that streaming are very sensitive in terms of packet loss and delay and if your AP does not roam well, you end up having a half worknig solution. The image on the camera can freeze any time the AP move to another AP as the roaming not necessarity will be seemsless.

I believe this can help you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich R
VIP
VIP

First question - the doc you referred to is for EWC on AP.  Is that what you are planning to use or do you have a WLC?

My main concern about your proposal is that the 9124 is an outdoor AP not an industrial wireless AP so I'm not sure it's rugged enough to be fitted on machinery like the forklift.  So I think you should be looking at the IW range: 
https://www.cisco.com/site/us/en/products/networking/industrial-wireless/index.html

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply. We do have a WLC. 
Yes, 9124 is not an industrial AP, but still is it possible to connect them to multiple wired APs?  

Other than that, thank you for pointing out the IW series. Which looks like exactly what we need, but again I'm not sure if we connect for example IW9165E with C9124AXD-E series. I will dig deeper and post here if I find something. 

Regards.

Oguz

Hello @O.K. 

Basically what you want to achieve is using the Access Point as a client and do roaming among others APs.  I think you can take advantage of the Work Group Bridge functionality.

"

WGB Roaming Guidelines

Follow these guidelines for WGB roaming:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/workgroup_bridges.html

Your AP does support this feature:

• Configuring a WGB for roaming—If a WGB is mobile, you can configure it to scan for a better radio connection to a parent access point or bridge. Use the ap(config-if)#mobile station period 3 threshold 50 command to configure the workgroup bridge as a mobile station.

When you enable this setting, the WGB scans for a new parent association when it encounters a poor Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI), excessive radio interference, or a high frame-loss percentage. Using these criteria, a WGB configured as a mobile station searches for a new parent association and roams to a new parent before it loses its current association. When the mobile station setting is disabled (the default setting), a WGB does not search for a new association until it loses its current association.

• Configuring a WGB for Limited Channel Scanning—In mobile environments such as railroads, a WGB instead of scanning all the channels is restricted to scan only a set of limited channels to reduce the hand-off delay when the WGB roams from one access point to another. By limiting the number of channels, the WGB scans only those required channels; the mobile WGB achieves and maintains a continuous wireless LAN connection with fast and smooth roaming. This limited channel set is configured using the ap(config-if)#mobile station scan set of channels .

This command invokes scanning to all or specified channels. There is no limitation on the maximum number of channels that can be configured. The maximum number of channels that can be configured is restricted only by the number of channels that a radio can support. When executed, the WGB scans only this limited channel set. This limited channel feature also affects the known channel list that the WGB receives from the access point to which it is currently associated. Channels are added to the known channel list only if they are also part of the limited channel set."

There´s a concern about what you are trying to achieve which is the roaming between APs. We know that streaming are very sensitive in terms of packet loss and delay and if your AP does not roam well, you end up having a half worknig solution. The image on the camera can freeze any time the AP move to another AP as the roaming not necessarity will be seemsless.

I believe this can help you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card