cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CPE in WT27xx ISP Scenario

ecbanks
Level 1
Level 1

If I'm reading the product literature right, the only equipment you can put at the customer premise is a 2600 or 3600 with a WT-2755 multipoint subscriber network module to participate in a WT27xx WLAN. That's prohibitively expensive when you are trying to compete with a DSL or cable-modem provider. Am I right in thinking that the 2600/WT2755 is the only CPE option?<br><br>

I'm hoping for a CPE solution coming in at a much lower pricepoint so that broadband wireless could be used to reach residential/SOHO customers at a reasonable pricepoint. If a 2600 with a WT-2755 is the minimum CPE requirement, that ain't gonna fly.

Comments?<br><br>Am I missing other options?<br><br>

TIA - best regards.

2 Replies 2

bruiter
Level 1
Level 1

You're right in what you're reading. The good news is that Cisco is due to release a SOHO product called the UBR 950/951 late 3Q or early 4Q.

I was in San Jose in February and got to see the first of the product. Small, VOIP integrated and an initial ticket price under $1000.

There is also a residential CPE being designed by Toshiba and Pace with an estimated ticket price of $300. This is due out 2Q of 2002.

Our experience is telling us that most clients will absorb the sticker shock in a small to midsize business. The current CPE gear won't fly for a residential user unless you figure out a way to lease it to them or straight out supply it to them at no additional cost.

So, there are some upcoming options.

I have designed and assisted two new wireless isp's. it did become prohibitive to use cisco stuff at the cpe due to cost. we ended up using another manufacturer/vendor for this very reason.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card