cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Crap Throughput on MESH

tierscheiss
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so I have two WLC5508 controllers running 7.0.230.0, which having the two of them probably is inconsequential because all the APs are added to only one controller. The problem I'm facing is that I have several LAP1552E's deployed throughout my facility, and I have several that are doing Ethernet bridging to some Cisco switches using G0. In this, I have a PC at the end of one of these switches, and using Iperf and PingPlotter to get some metrics, and what I'm seeing is >400ms latency with Mbit throughput to the PC. On the 802.11a radios I have 18 Mbit set as mandatory, with everything below disabled and everything above Supported, with all MCS indexes under 802.11n enabled. My channel is set to 161 with a 40 MHz channel-width, and a power of 3 configured.
So, riddle me this... After many days of trying different power settings, channel settings, and such, I can't get better results than above and my channel utilization stays > 75% at all times. I do have video cameras attached to the other bridges switches, and have video QoS set to Bronze and the cameras configured to ~ 1 Mbit bandwidth maximum. What the heck am I missing?
Also, average RAP-MAP distance is ~ 1100 ft and average MAP-MAP distance is 400 ft, with the longest RAP-MAP being 1400 ft and MAP-MAP distance being 875 ft.

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With MESH you need to really pay attention to the SNR. SNR dictates what the backhaul rate can be. There should be a map of the SNR to backhaul in the Leah deployment guide.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Forgot to mention that, SNR is between 21 at the lowest and 37 at the highest. The MAP bridging the switch has one hop between it and the RAP, with both SNR being 24 and 27 respectively.

BenzylAlkonium
Level 1
Level 1

Are any other the Ethernet links over 90 metres? do you see any packet resends?

Going to check the switch infrastructure next, but also deploying one of my 3502i APs in SE-Connect mode to determine if I'm seeing some interference. Too bad I can't use my 1552E for that.

Switch infrastructure looks good. Hopefully get a spectrum expert out there and try to figure this out.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I haven't gotten the sniffer installed yet, but I have a new piece to the puzzle. I have some 3502i and 3502e devices on a separate bridge group and switch infrastructure, and today I was doing some unrelated work which required me to enable Ethernet bridging on the indoor RAP and MAP. Can ya guess what happened? I had everyone around me immediately come out and tell me the wireless just ground to a halt.
So, I disabled Ethernet bridging and all was good again, so I broke out Iperf on my laptop connected wirelessly and wouldn't ya know it that as soon as I enabled Ethernet bridging my throughput went to crap. So, relating back to my crap throughput on the outdoor MESH, yep, you guessed it, Ethernet bridging is being used. I plan to confirm my results by turning off the Ethernet bridging on the outdoor MESH and see if my throughput comes back. Granted that doesn't address the high channel utilization, but I wonder what will happen to the throughput.
Earlier this year when I moved to our new WLC5508 and the new 1552e APs, I had a lengthy TAC case because Ethernet bridging was causing some issues thanks to VLAN 1, but that's another story.

Sniff installed, and no interference and solid 5Ghz signal around -54dB. Definitely not the problem.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: