Views
Helpful
Replies

Find out which wifi AP my client connected to

q-le
Level 2
Level 2

Hi ,

We have about 50 x air-lap1142N APs connected to  our 4x WLCs through out the whole building.

We need to do an audit where they AP 's location are and draw them in Visio.

So with my laptop I am walking around - what software do I need on my laptop or how do know or check which AP I am

connected to.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Ql

8 Replies 8

Srin_G
Level 3
Level 3

If you have WCS it can track your laptop which AP you are associated with!

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can also check on the WLC itself if you don't have WCS or NCS. If you have aironet IE enabled, some adapters can tell you the ap name.

Cisco Properietary Features - Issues with Third Party Clients

If the client devices that are unable to connect to the network are non-Cisco devices, disabling some of the Cisco proprietary features results in a successful connection. For a list of features that the client supports, contact the vendor of the third-party client device.

These are some of the important proprietary features:

Aironet IE—Aironet IE contains information, such as the access point name, load, number of associated clients, and so on sent out by the access point in the beacon and probe responses of the WLAN. CCX clients use this information to choose the best access point with which to associate.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

We do not have WCS or NCS and we use WLC version 7.0.235.3 and there is no option to enable Aironet IE.

I guess we can check on WLC ( this is more messy as I have to open 4 x WLC urls and check on each of the WLC) unless there is an software you can load in the laptop and move it around and tell which AP it  is connected to.

Do you know of any software we can use ? ie wireshark etc

Mate, i know its a pain to track using WLC but you can use the evaluation version of WCS (if you have a service contract)or evaluation version of some software like solarwinds NPM add the accesspoints in it and it will tell ya where exactly the client is associated. If ya have a cisco wireless adapter it may show you the AP name or ip address but i am not sure.

Aironet IE is an option under the WLAN, so you can just pick one WLAN and enable it there.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, the only way is to turn off the LED and turn them on one at a time. 

If you want a very old way. Get the macs of all the APs, place on a map and get inSSIDer which I think will show the ap you are connected to ..

Or like mentioned, if you have a Intel Client they support AE. But they will show the controller and not the AP when you use 802.1X.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I enable Aironet IE option under the WLAN for all but still no success.

Have to do the hard way ie manually search for each AP - take 3 working days but the job completed.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions - much appreciated

QL

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: