cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a public wifi network

John Schwindt
Level 1
Level 1

The company currently has a DSL line using a linksys router to broadcast to a small area of the factory. I want to get rid of the DSL line and move it to the WAPs that are running our corporate network so it can be used thoughout the plant, but I don't want the networks to "see" each other.

What would be the best method for doing this? If you need more details, let me know.

Thank you

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First off, what equipment do you have and how are things setup right now.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We have:

- a 2911 router

- 3750 core switches (also setup as our default gateway)

- 2960 switches as our edge switches

- Aironet 1130 series AP (1131)

- Aironet 1100 series APs (1120)

I am not quite sure how much detail you are looking for in regards to setup but we have vlans for wifi, voice, data, etc.

Is setting up another vlan the best way to go, or are there other options?

You'll want to setup another VLAN.  That way you can restrict what access the guest has to the 'corporate' LAN.

Do you already have multiple SSID?  if so, you just need to create another SSID and VLAN for the guests.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kyle,

The reason I asked is because I didn't know if you had a wlc or autonomous. Like Steve mentioned you would need another vlan and SSID. Here is a support doc that explains multiple SSID configuration.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14496

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

After talking with my boss again, we don't want to do it this way. Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card