cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCvj33094 - WLC 3504 8.5 - Directly connected AP-COS - Observing Failed to get ARP entry for WLC

asclepi
Level 1
Level 1

AIR-CT3504-K9, running 8.5.161.0, with bug CSCvj33094 exhibiting shortly after connecting two AP-COS's (1815) in local mode directly to the PoE ports of the WLC. Everything works fine initially, but as soon as client activity starts picking up, the AP will disjoin the controller with "Failed to get ARP entry for {WLC's IP}," followed by complaints that it cannot find an AP Manager, which is expected after the ARP failure. Connecting just one AP instead of two does not fix the issue.

The workaround described in BST is valid; the issue does not occur when the AP's are connected to another switch in the network. However, because of the limited availability of PoE switch ports, no options for PoE injectors, and other peculiarities of the site, we would prefer to connect the two AP's to the WLC directly. This benefit is mentioned in the datasheet, and it was one of the reasons that led to the purchase of this model.

Cisco's severity classification of "4 Minor" means this bug probably won't be fixed anytime soon in 8.5. Downgrading to 8.2 is not an option as it does not support the 1815 AP's, neither is Mobility Express due to the number of AP's on this site. Does anyone have satisfactory experiences with 8.8.130.0 running on the 3504 with directly connected AP-COS? Any alternative workaround suggestion would be appreciated as well.

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have not noticed this issue, but I only have one 2800 AP connected like this and it's in a room very rarely used. I run 8.8.121.0 on that 3504 and will soon upgrade to 8.8.130.0.

@patoberli wrote:
it's in a room very rarely used

I haven't found out what exactly triggers this bug, but I have also noticed that it doesn't manifest when there is light use of the AP, even with two AP's directly connected.

More intensive use - like a few clients with concurrent video streams, which is still well within the specs of the AP and the WLC - seems to be a prerequisite for this bug to show.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card