cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Debug of client dropping

Patrick McHenry
Level 4
Level 4

Could someone take a look at the output from this debug?

I attached a notepad of the debug output of a laptop roaming between access-points. At around "Wed Aug 17 07:54:26 2011" on the debug I see what appears to a be client disconnecting and requesting dhcp. I also shoud mention that the device lost 3 pings during this time. Any clues to why this is happening?

Thanks, Pat

11 Replies 11

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Whats the WLC software version?? and what is the client?? Like a passive client like handhelds or a active like a laptops or something??

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is wat i see from the Debug..

Wed Aug 17 07:54:23 2011: 00:40:96:a1:e9:e3 Association received from mobile on AP 00:25:83:37:51:e0

Wed Aug 17 07:55:00 2011: 00:40:96:a1:e9:e3 Reassociation received from mobile on AP 00:0b:85:54:f5:10

The Client was connected to the AP with the MAC 00:25:83:37:51:e0 and all of a sudden the client sends a reassociation to the AP 00:0b:85:54:f5:10

Are these APs near to each other and are they hearing each other loudly and creating the confusion to the client on whether to join this or the other ?? like i will be connected to the first AP and all of a sudden i get a better signal from the other and i am tryingto join the second AP by getting disconnected to the first??

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks for the response.

The version is 4.2.209.0 on a 4402. The debug is from a laptop mac. There are about three APs in this area all about 20 to 25 feet from each other. There are walls between them though.

Pat.

Would it help if we turned down the radios on the laptop or lowered the roaming aggressiveness of the laptop?

Yes.. reduce the power on the AP and see if that helps!! and disable Aggressive Load balancing if its enabled and check!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Surendra,

I asked if I should turn down the radio of the client. Do you  think I should turn down the radio of the AP? The controller should take care of that, no?

Pat

Where is the Aggressive load-balancing? Is that on the AP? Or the client?

Aggressive load balancing is on the WLC.. i think on  the WLAN advanced page.. yes the WLC should take care of the RADIO thing.. but if they are on the same power level or on the same channel.. reduce the same and check. but its not recommended to use MIXED manually assigned on few APs and automatic on Few..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

What radio model is in the cleint and what supplicant are you using ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

While I tested the client, it never dropped off the network but, between APs it would drop pings. We noticed that the client was set with 802.1a only. We set the client to 802.11bg only, set the roaming to the highest and the power setting to the highest. We lost no pings between APs when we did this. We are going to let the user try it out for a couple of days.

We are using a Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN

Driver 3-18-10    13.2.0.30

We are using the windows client to manage but, there also is an HP Wireless Assistant installed. On the HP Wireless Asistant, the LAN setting is on and the Bluetooth is off.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card