Views
Helpful
Replies

Dell Latitude 7420/7430 (Intel AX211) random loss of internet access

Luna99923
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am experiencing issues with Dell 7430/7420 laptops equipped with the Intel AX211 chipset, which randomly lose internet access throughout the day (Wi-Fi remains connected).  This issue even occurs when laptops are stationary.

I am using a Cisco 9800 (HA Pair) running 17.9.4 APSP8 with 3802i's/9120's/9130's deployed throughout the campus. The clients connect to an SSID set to 5 GHz using WPA2/Enterprise/EAP-TLS. This problem appears to be occurring campus-wide, specifically affecting Dell Latitude laptops equipped with the Intel AX211 chipset, despite attempts with various driver versions.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

6 Replies 6

nict
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Luna,

I haven't any experience myself with the Dell laptops you refer to. Is it only the Dell Laptops who experience this wifi loss issue? Are any other clients also affected by this?

Have you tried to replicate this, to see what ISE says when it happens?

What can you see on your WLC when this happens?

Have you tried to Wireshark on the PC while this happens?

Have this always been a problem or when did it occur? 

Has there been a Wireless Driver update on the Dell PC's?

Is it actually the whole campus or can you narrow it down to clients on connected to a specific AP type?

Best Regards,

There have been reports of similar internet access issues with Dell 7430/7420 laptops equipped with the Intel AX211 chipset experiencing random drops despite remaining connected to Wi-Fi. I found these threads - 

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/Community-and-Online-Support/6E-AX211-WIFI-card-keeps-dropping-connections/td-p/68042

https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/xps/wifi-keeps-dropping-out/647f85f2f4ccf8a8de4dafb8

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware are the AX2xx running on? 

In regards to AX2xx wireless NIC, the first thing I would always do are the following settings: 

• 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode:  Pick 802.11ac or less.  Avoid 802.11ax (default).
  • Preferred Band:  5.0 Ghz

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure the Wifi drivers are up to date , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Luna99923
Level 1
Level 1

I've had issues with 22.240.0, 22.250.1, 23.10.0, and 23.20.0.  I'm currently testing 23.30.0 which was just released on 2/27/2024. 

@Leo Laohoowith the settings you mentioned above, has this helped stabilize things with your connectivity?  

@Luna99923 wrote:
with the settings you mentioned above, has this helped stabilize things with your connectivity?  

Yes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card