cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deploying 9124s vertically on pole - Solar Shield Required?

We are deploying Cisco 9124s vertically on poles. I read that Cisco recommends using solar shield in outdoor deployments in direct sunlight, but in the installation documentation, the deployments it shows using the solar shield horizontally to shade the fins of the heat sink. It does not show any solar shield on the vertical deployments (i.e. with the paintable cover). So my question is, do any of you have experience deploying 9124s vertically on poles? If so, did you use a solar shield, or is it in fact designed to shade the heat sink fins on horizontal deployments with the L bracket as we suspect?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oh wait ... I totally got confused.  

For vertical installation, there is no room to install a solar cover, however, we will install a Cover Kit.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am in Australia and solar-shield is mandatory for the following reasons: 

1. Daytime temperature can go from mid-30 (Celsius) to 50 (Celsius)
  2. Very dry and arid condition
  3. Bird dropping

So how do you install a solar shield on a vertical deployment? Or are all of yours horizontal using the L bracket?

Thanks M8!

Oh wait ... I totally got confused.  

For vertical installation, there is no room to install a solar cover, however, we will install a Cover Kit.  

Thanks - so do you consider the Cover Kit as environmental protection or just cosmetic?

Thanks again!

Both.  

We are installing them to stop the birds from nesting on them.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

When the 9124 was launched I remember Cisco saying it was already sun rated so did not require a solar shield.
The specs: Operating temperature -40 C to 65 C (55 C with solar loading).
But that said, the installation guide still recommends it so probably better to use it.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/9124ax/install-guide/b-hig-9124ax/installation-overview.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card