Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Description in dashboard

Good Morning,

On my dashboard most of the devices that are connected to our WiFi identify themselves by MAC Address but some don't as below, is this a problem on the device end?

wifi.JPG

Any ideas how to get all my devices to identify meaningfully?

Thanks

Dave

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Presumably this may  only work by devices which can be served by DHCP (only). Btw , (from) which dashboard/app are you mentioning this , include cisco product and software version when posting.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it rquired your DHCP and DNS resolution configured correctly

what DHCP Server you using ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Meraki devices are capable of using NBAR/ Layer 7 inspection identify protocols and applications. It also uses snooping of DHCP, bonjour or Netbios to identlfy the device hostname. Devices by default advertise it's configured hostname over these protocols. More info below;

Rename a Client's Hostname - Cisco Meraki

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David,

You know that there is a Meraki forum and those folks are pretty knowledgable about Meraki.  I see the same thing at my home, but only really the phones and laptops show up with the device names.  A lot of my iot devices, I rename so I don't have to try to look it up.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card