Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Scope on WLC 2504

Gaurav Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have configured DHCP scope on WLC. I am little bit confused, on interface configuration which IP should be configure for Primary/secondary DHCP server.

Thank you 

Gaurav

5 Replies 5

rafael.samora
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Gaurav,

Normally, you need use Primary DHCP server with your IP of management interface.

Regards.,

Little little background ..

cisco wlcs out of the box do dhcp proxy. That means when a wireless client broadcast for an IP address the controller grabs the request and then unicast the request on behalf of the wireless client. That address you put in is where the controller will unicast the request. 

If if you disable proxy. Then normal svi with a helper is in play .. As for the primary and back up. If you had redundant dhcp servers then you would add 2 ip addresses. If you don't just use primary .. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

I did DHCP configuration on WLC only and assign management interface IP as a primary DHCP server. and also disabled DHCP proxy, but when i was trying to connect with that SSID then i was getting apipa ip on laptop.

HI Gaurav,

1. Use WLC management IP as DHCP server in interface configuration.

2. To use internal DHCP server on WLC, DHCP proxy must be enabled.

"You must enable DHCP proxy on the controller to allow the internal DHCP server to function."

3. If still not works then paste the output of debug client <mac address>

Regards

Hi Rafael,

I tried with Management interface IP but when i was trying to connect with WLAN then i was not getting IP address.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card