Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between 802.11 a and 802.11g

chopra.harish1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just a basic querry, Although I know the difference between 802.11 a and 802.11 g standard but just confused about this.

When both the standards have been originated from OFDM and provides maximum Data rate of 54 Mbps. They have almost similar features and the only difference is of Frequency range they work on i.e. 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz respectivity.

My question is - If they both have so many similarities then why there are 2 different standards - a and g. Just due to the frequency bands are different ?

Pls. clarify my doubt on this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The difference is just the bands. The thing is that you only have 3 non overlapping channels on the 2.4ghz and you have 12 with the 5ghz in the US. That will vary by country. Also you need to realize that the lower the ghz the less it is prone to attenuation. So that is why the 2.4ghz will get you more coverage.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The difference is just the bands. The thing is that you only have 3 non overlapping channels on the 2.4ghz and you have 12 with the 5ghz in the US. That will vary by country. Also you need to realize that the lower the ghz the less it is prone to attenuation. So that is why the 2.4ghz will get you more coverage.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card