Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between IP learning method

Hello,

I have a question about the difference between IP learning methods in wireless, when I do an AP packet capture I see that there are two methods for the client to learn an IP address (DHCP and IP snooping) even in the both cases we're using dhcp for delivering IP addresses. Anyone can give us the difference between each method ?

FYI: we're using WLC 9800

Thank you for your support

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

DHCP is how the client gets the IP address. 

The WLC will use IP snooping to learn what IP address the client got when the client is recieving an IP address from a external DHCP server. 
If the WLC is the DHCP server than it will learn the IP from DHCP.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- IP snooping is not an address delivery method but a security mechanism (DHCP provides addresses)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

mouadmerfouk2021_0-1705497323471.pngmouadmerfouk2021_1-1705497384477.png

Why it is showing IP snooping as IP learning method ?

- It probably in this case only means that the client got a valid address using DHCP setups and configuration setup in the wireless controller.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

DHCP is how the client gets the IP address. 

The WLC will use IP snooping to learn what IP address the client got when the client is recieving an IP address from a external DHCP server. 
If the WLC is the DHCP server than it will learn the IP from DHCP.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card