cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixing 3800/2800 APs with 9120 APs on 9800 controllers

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Is there a nice summary out there that describes the functional issues of attempting to use legacy 3800 and 2800 APs with new 9120 APs? From what I have heard, WiFi-6 APs do not play nicely with the older models. I need to summarize the issues. Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't mix x800-series APs with Catalyst APs.  

x800-series have a MARVAL radio chipset and Cisco has been trying hard to "tame" the bugs associate with them.  I believe they have already "given up" trying to fix these bugs on AireOS.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't mix x800-series APs with Catalyst APs.  

x800-series have a MARVAL radio chipset and Cisco has been trying hard to "tame" the bugs associate with them.  I believe they have already "given up" trying to fix these bugs on AireOS.  

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I don’t think you will find any type of summary like that from any vendor. Functionality really depends on issues you currently have with the AP’s and the other half is your clients and support they have for the different protocols. Everyone will provide their thoughts and what they prefer. The wanting to mix usually is due to budget. I always go back to what did they previously do when they migrated to the 2800/3800’s? If you or your customer had ran into issue then, then expect that things can happen again until all AP’s are of the same model. There have been a few post in regard to mixed environments with 91x0 access point with older models. I think you will see the same answer.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

kadambari
Level 1
Level 1

As recommended above the Roaming between X700, X800 and 9120 access points would lead to disconnection at client end. Is there any solution to opt this scenario?

In case each floor has same model as 1st floor X700, 2nd Floor 9120, 3rd floor X800, and they all are connected to 9800 WLC. So hope there won't be any issues arises for end client.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card