keniototo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !

I have A question: 

What is the difference between :

-Root Bridge with Wireless Clients 
-Non-Root Bridge with Wireless Clients

I want to change my AP to non-root bridge but it refuses it give a error message as show bellow

11 Replies 11

Dennis Kline
Level 1
Level 1

A bridge is a wirless connection between 2 points (such as 2 buildings).  One end is the root, the other end is the non-root.  You can connect those without accommodating any wireless clients, OR you can connect the 2 ends AND any wireless clients.

For example, say I need to connect 2 building separated by a parking lot.  If I do NOT accommodate clients, anyone in the parking lot will not be able to connect to that link... OR, I can allow people in the parking lot to also connect to the link.

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)

Thank you for your answer , I got your point , I was wondering is it possible to change the roles from root to become non-root and vis versa ?

Best regards .

What is the current role of you AP ?

Do you have a bridge setup or Do you have a single AP that acting as normal Access Point for wireless client connectivity ?

Rasika

I have 2 AP one with root bridge and the other with non-root bridge, the situation here, is I want to revers the roles , but it gave a error message as a mentioned earlier 

Yes, you can reverse the roles.  You need to change the non-root to root first, and let it come back up and stabilize ... then change the root to non-root.  I assume you have static IPs and not using DHCP ?

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)

Yes I do have a static ip address for the both of them, 

When I try to select the the non-root bridge from the root bridge AP, it does not allow me , it says that I have to set the  Infrastructure SSID'must be configured inorder to set the 'role in radio Network' to the follwing roles :

Repeater

Access point 

Non-root bridge

The configuration software Cisco uses for autonomous radios is pretty lame and not user friendly at all.  Always has been.

It's been a long time since I've had to work my way through one of their configurations, but based on your screen shots, I would first set the root end for "without clients". Then try to set the non-root to root.  Also, if it is checked, uncheck the box on the non-root for "connec only to infrastructure"  (I don't remember the exact terminology they use)

Although when I check  only the root role and uncheck , it never give me ability to check the non root role,

from root AP :( 

I assume you are attempting all this from the Ethernet port connection, and not over-the-air?  If you are attempting to convert non-root to root over-the-air,  I doubt you're going to be successful.  You need to be logged into the radios from either the Ethernet port or the console port

Actualy I did everything with ethernet cable ,and also , with console cable , 

I did not try to connect over the-air .

keniototo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone ,

The problem is solved 

All I had to do is open the GUI and copy the configuration from the other terminal and past it into the specific AP , after that you do a check then you will find all the configuration including the role station has been chnaged from the root bridge to non-root bridge .

Thank you all

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card