keniototo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !

I have A question: 

What is the difference between :

-Root Bridge with Wireless Clients 
-Non-Root Bridge with Wireless Clients

I want to change my AP to non-root bridge but it refuses it give a error message as show bellow

11 Replies 11

Dennis Kline
Level 1
Level 1

A bridge is a wirless connection between 2 points (such as 2 buildings).  One end is the root, the other end is the non-root.  You can connect those without accommodating any wireless clients, OR you can connect the 2 ends AND any wireless clients.

For example, say I need to connect 2 building separated by a parking lot.  If I do NOT accommodate clients, anyone in the parking lot will not be able to connect to that link... OR, I can allow people in the parking lot to also connect to the link.

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)

Thank you for your answer , I got your point , I was wondering is it possible to change the roles from root to become non-root and vis versa ?

Best regards .

What is the current role of you AP ?

Do you have a bridge setup or Do you have a single AP that acting as normal Access Point for wireless client connectivity ?

Rasika

I have 2 AP one with root bridge and the other with non-root bridge, the situation here, is I want to revers the roles , but it gave a error message as a mentioned earlier 

Yes, you can reverse the roles.  You need to change the non-root to root first, and let it come back up and stabilize ... then change the root to non-root.  I assume you have static IPs and not using DHCP ?

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)

Yes I do have a static ip address for the both of them, 

When I try to select the the non-root bridge from the root bridge AP, it does not allow me , it says that I have to set the  Infrastructure SSID'must be configured inorder to set the 'role in radio Network' to the follwing roles :

Repeater

Access point 

Non-root bridge

The configuration software Cisco uses for autonomous radios is pretty lame and not user friendly at all.  Always has been.

It's been a long time since I've had to work my way through one of their configurations, but based on your screen shots, I would first set the root end for "without clients". Then try to set the non-root to root.  Also, if it is checked, uncheck the box on the non-root for "connec only to infrastructure"  (I don't remember the exact terminology they use)

Although when I check  only the root role and uncheck , it never give me ability to check the non root role,

from root AP :( 

I assume you are attempting all this from the Ethernet port connection, and not over-the-air?  If you are attempting to convert non-root to root over-the-air,  I doubt you're going to be successful.  You need to be logged into the radios from either the Ethernet port or the console port

Actualy I did everything with ethernet cable ,and also , with console cable , 

I did not try to connect over the-air .

keniototo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone ,

The problem is solved 

All I had to do is open the GUI and copy the configuration from the other terminal and past it into the specific AP , after that you do a check then you will find all the configuration including the role station has been chnaged from the root bridge to non-root bridge .

Thank you all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card