cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does CleanAir automatically improve the wireless experience?

michaelbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've read a lot of CleanAir, however, I'm still not certain of whether the function only monitors interference or if CleanAir actually also changes the configuration - i.e. has active influence of DCA for example. Can someone clarify this?

Currently we are running two WLC 5508 controllers with 30 2802E access points and CleanAir is enabled. Can we expect any improvements when enabling CleanAir?

Thanks
Michael

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

yes and no, 

there is an automatism, but it needs to be configured first (and of course optimized/tuned later).

involved keywords are DCA, RRM and particularly event-driven RRM.

Cisco cleanair helps to select a least congested/interfered channel. and change the channel if environment condition changes (interference occurs or a new access point is added).

be aware change of channel may result in a reassociate of active clients.

and setting parameters too strict may result in more channel changes than desired.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Depends on the settings.
CleanAir alone won't improve a lot. Because if there is a large amount of 2.4 Ghz co-channel interference the "worst" thing the AP will do is pick a channel that has the least amount of channel utilization. Remember that 2.4 Ghz only has 11 channels to choose from so the option is really a slim picking.
Enable CleanAir and then enable Flexible Radio Assignment, which the 2800/3800 supports, will then give the AP an added option to turn off the 2.4 Ghz and then switch to a "micro" 5.0 Ghz. This option, currently, is a major improvement to just CleanAir alone.

Thanks Peter and Leo, I will guess I will have to read more about CleanAir before enabling it. Thanks for your help!

You can enable it without problems. Even if you don't use EDRRM, it shows you much more about the "air quality" and devices that are possibly disturbing your environment.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card