Views
Helpful
Replies

Download files TFTP to WLC

ziqex
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I wanted to ask if the WLC reboot is really required while wanting to download the files to the controller.

As per cisco docs.

Log in to the WLC CLI and run these commands: (Cisco Controller) > transfer download datatype cmx-serv-ca-cert

(Cisco Controller) > transfer download mode tftp

(Cisco Controller) > transfer download filename .cer

(Cisco Controller) > transfer download path

(Cisco Controller) > transfer download serverip

(Cisco Controller) > transfer download start Step 4. Reboot the WLC for the changes to take effect.

Will I need to reboot the wlc if I use CLI or GUI for downloading the file?

Thank you.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Exactly as everyone else has pointed out already.  Restart is not for the download - the download runs immediately you type download start.  But the certificate will not be active till you restart so you can wait as long as you like before you restart but your certificate will not take effect until you have restarted.  That's just the way the AireOS WLCs work.  If you want more modern technology then migrate to the 9800 series WLCs.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@ziqex wrote:
Step 4. Reboot the WLC for the changes to take effect.
Will I need to reboot the wlc if I use CLI or GUI for downloading the file?

I don't know but it looks very clear to me.  

It would be a total nonsense if you need to reload WLC in order to download any file to the WLC.

I did not come across any other cisco appliance that would require the reload for the file transfer to work.

Not sure if version dependant as could not find any relevant information in cisco docs.

Thanks

@ziqex wrote:

It would be a total nonsense if you need to reload WLC in order to download any file to the WLC.

I did not come across any other cisco appliance that would require the reload for the file transfer to work.

Not sure if version dependant as could not find any relevant information in cisco docs.

You're not just downloading any file into the WLC.  You're downloading a CERTIFICATE.  

Yes, downloading the certificate. Not applying the certificate where I would expect a restart. Not after file transfer process. 

You are not just downloading the cert, you are also installing/applying the cert during that process.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Exactly as everyone else has pointed out already.  Restart is not for the download - the download runs immediately you type download start.  But the certificate will not be active till you restart so you can wait as long as you like before you restart but your certificate will not take effect until you have restarted.  That's just the way the AireOS WLCs work.  If you want more modern technology then migrate to the 9800 series WLCs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card