Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic VLAN Assignment Via Radius - AireOS and IOS-XE

Scottie_Laforge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've got a deployment whereby RBAC is defined by radius policies on ISE in which vlans are dynamically assigned based on the users AD credentials. 

In the authorization profiles, I can see that a vlan is added which contributes to the  Tunnel-Private-Group ID. 

What is the behavior when this vlan does not exist on the wireless controller? In the current AireOS environment, this vlan does not exist yet authentication is being passed and the user is being mapped to the configured vlan in the ap group.

In the 9800 IOS-XE based environment, the same policy set, conditions and authZ profiles were used and the client device does not pass authentication with the controller notifying a VLAN failure.

I had always thought that the VLAN must exist on the WLC in order to pass auth. If not, then access-reject.

SL

4 Replies 4

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @Scottie_Laforge 

In IOS and IOS-XE you're 100% right that the VLAN must be defined on the switch for the dynamic VLAN assignment to succeed. It also makes sense because dynamic VLAN assignment simply references the existing VLAN - it does not define it.

But in the case of AireOS, I didn't know this would work. Are you saying that you were able to return a VLAN ID that did NOT exist as a Dynamic Interface on the WLC, and the client was successfully switched to the VLAN? In the case of centrally switched WLC, I can't see how this would be true. For Flex Connect I can see how that would be ok, because the WLC does not have those VLANs defined - the client traffic is locally switched to the AP and the AP has a trunk to the switch. The Flexmode AP tags the client traffic which is carried to the local switch (which of course MUST have the VLAN defined)

Rich R
VIP
VIP

There's a new feature which aims to provide feature parity on 9800:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-6/release-notes/rn-17-6-9800.html

Fallback for AAA Overridden VLAN

From Cisco IOS XE Bengaluru 17.6.1 onwards, fallback for AAA-overridden VLAN or VLAN groups is supported, on the policy profile.

In Cisco IOS XE Bengaluru 17.5.1 Release and earlier releases, if there is a network with a single AAA server dictating policies that need to be applied to a client that may roam across different sites (having different policy definitions). If these policies are not defined on the site, the client does not get access to the network. To address this scenario, the Fallback for AAA-overridden VLAN feature is introduced.

The following command is introduced:

aaa-override vlan fallback

For more information, see the chapter WLAN Security. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-6/config-guide/b_wl_17_6_cg/m_wlan_security_9800.html

You didn't say what version you were testing with?

phaladonekeomisyoutlookcom_1-1669796132308.png

please advise, i got this issue when i require to access with AAA authen in 9800

Rich R
VIP
VIP

phaladone.keomisy@outlook.com 
What version of software?
Have you done a radioactive trace on that client?
Is it affecting all clients or only that client?
Is your radius working?
Have you checked the radius logs?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card