Views
Helpful
Replies

Easy way to change access point to 2.4ghz

Open Atelier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Let me start by saying I am not a sysadmin, but I'm hoping this can be done by someone who is just "good with computers". 
I'm trying to change an AP from 5.0ghz to 2.4.

First I tried installing the USB driver and plugging in an ethernet cable to USB from the controller port of the AP to my laptop.
But nothing showed up in Device Manager under Ports.

Then I checked the server and there is a Wireless controller model 2504. I tried the same thing with that controller port, but again nothing shows up. I'm also not sure if there is an IP address for this thing which i can browse to? The MAC address on the WLC is not listed on the network when I use the "arp -a" command.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I'm afraid if a sysadmin actually has to look at this mess of a server rack it would cost a bunch of money...

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/wlc-5520-5508-disable-2-4g-or-5g-in-cli/m-p/4915807#M260269

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Open Atelier
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply with the correct commands.
This will be useful once I know how to access the WLC CLI.

I have tried using a free trial of HyperTerminal to access it, but I don't really understand how I can configure it as suggested in the following page:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/2500-series-wireless-controllers/113034-2500-deploy-guide-00.html#anc8

Any other free programs you can recommend?

- You could also use PuTTy for accessing the controller's console,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As Marce says for a terminal you can use https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html
To connect to the AP or WLC (controller) you need a console cable which must be plugged into the CONSOLE port (often labelled with pale blue), not an ethernet port.
APs tend to be very fussy about what console cable works but almost any Cisco console cable should work for the controller.  Since your AP is connected to the controller all the configuration must be managed from the controller.  Yes it will have an IP address which you can connect to over SSH or web but you will also need to know the username and password for logging into that.  If you login on the console you can use "show interface summary" to check the configured IP addresses.  It will be manageable either over the service port IP or the AP management IP (which is what the AP connects to).

If this is beyond your skills you might want to get an expert in, otherwise you'll need to do a fair bit of reading and learning to understand how to do it all.

For console cable I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MYQPYKR but any similar cable will do.  For use with an AP best to get a cable with genuine (not counterfeit) FTDI chipset and check reviews to confirm it works with a Cisco AP.

I'm trying to change an AP from 5.0ghz to 2.4
Why would you want to do that? Service is generally better on 5GHz anyway.  Or maybe you want to change the flexible radio from 5GHz back to 2.4GHz?  What model of AP is it (the label will show the full model number)?  Most older APs were dual band and not changeable so you'd expect to see the SSIDs on both bands.  But the 2.4 radio might have been disabled on the AP or the SSID (WLAN) might have been configured for 5GHz only.  You can see all of this once you login to the WLC.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card