Views
Helpful
Replies

EDCA: Use fastlane or optimized-video-voice in C9800

mnkojima
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

we are implementing C9800 and the wireless users have a lot of video conference using Zoom, MS Teams and Webex.

I have read documents where is said to configure EDCA as fastlane. However, in the C9800 best practices document is written:

Regarding EDCA settings, remember that these settings are global per radio and not per SSID. There is no single recommended value for all networks, so it is important to test different values. For networks with voice and video traffic, it is a good idea to set the EDCA to “optimized-video-voice”.

So, what is the best EDCA config: fastlane or optimized-video-voice.

Thank you

Marcos

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is something that is dependent on your environment and devices.  I have had good luck with not configuring any of these, but others might have specific device in which one works better than the other.  Also comes down to the device capabilities.  If you have enough density you might not even need this.  I you have a need to choose one over the other, then give yourself time to test and make sure that the settings doesn't prevent devices from connecting or impact user experience.  

I know this isn't what you want, but you should know what devices will be using these services and you also should identify any existing issues that you know about or that users complain about.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

In that setting, it is recommend to use "Fastlane" that will modify AIFS timers and TXOP values in a way even BE & BK traffic get TXOP values.
Fastlane term used in couple of places in 9800 QoS configuration and that creates some confusion. Here is a my blog post when it comes to AutoQoS configuration that use "Fastlane" as one configuration option
https://mrncciew.com/2021/10/06/9800-auto-qos/ 

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is something that is dependent on your environment and devices.  I have had good luck with not configuring any of these, but others might have specific device in which one works better than the other.  Also comes down to the device capabilities.  If you have enough density you might not even need this.  I you have a need to choose one over the other, then give yourself time to test and make sure that the settings doesn't prevent devices from connecting or impact user experience.  

I know this isn't what you want, but you should know what devices will be using these services and you also should identify any existing issues that you know about or that users complain about.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

In that setting, it is recommend to use "Fastlane" that will modify AIFS timers and TXOP values in a way even BE & BK traffic get TXOP values.
Fastlane term used in couple of places in 9800 QoS configuration and that creates some confusion. Here is a my blog post when it comes to AutoQoS configuration that use "Fastlane" as one configuration option
https://mrncciew.com/2021/10/06/9800-auto-qos/ 

HTH
Rasika

Thank you Rasika.

Does optimized-video-voice does modify AIFS and TXOP timers of BE & BK traffic too?

Yes, It is recommended (specified in IEEE 802.11-2020 standard) to give TXOP for BE & BK as most of today's WiFi traffic not properly mark UP and mostly coming as BE (Even though DSCP properly marked in IP header). Below summarised those default value vs what is recommended. Once you set to "Fastlane" you should able to see BE & BK get TXOP

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 5.50.17 am.png

HTH
Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card