cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable Wireless through a Cisco 2702 AP to a Vonets Bridge

edwardonelife
Level 1
Level 1

We have a setup where wired IP Phones are connecting to the Wireless network using VONETS VAP11G-300 bridge. The Vonets bridge has an RJ45 link to the ip phone.

The Vonet bridge can successfully connect to Cisco 2702 APs WPA2-AES wireless network with a WLC2504 controller, but the ip phone doesn't connect to the network as it doesn't get an IP address.

Below is the setup, image attached.

IP-Phone <--rj45--> VONETSBridge <--wlan--> AP2702I <--lan--> WLC2504 <--lan--Switch

bridge.jpg

What settings need to be enabled on the WLC to allow traffic to traverse from the ip phone through the Vonet to the network?

8 Replies 8

Hello,

First of all, assuming you Cisco AP is correctly configured as bridge.

Does your IP phone associate to the Wifi network and then doesn´t get an IP address or it doesn´t not associate to the wifi network at all? Bear in mind that this is a different process. 

Does you phone should get IP on the same vlan as Vonet does? AP bridge allows for vlan mapping.

See schematic for a better understanding of the setup

Nice pic, but the questions remains.

Does you Cisco AP is configured as bridge? Does your phone connects to the wifi network sucessfully but did not get IP address? etc.

The Cisco AP is not in bridge mode, its the Vonets that does the bridging
The phone does not connect to the wifi, it connects to the Vonets using a
cable. The Vonets bridge successfully connects to the Wifi but the IP phone
that is behind the Vonets doesn't get an IP address.
If I connect the Vonets to a Dlink AP SSID, the Vonet and IP Phone connect
and each gets an IP address from the same subnet.

Alright! 

The way I see it, Cisco AP must be in bridge mode. 

Vonets is a client of the Cisco AP BSSID and has its own mac address. Then, it use it to communicate on the network and get its own IP address from a DHCP server.

IP phone also establish a layer 2 communication with Vonets and then try to get its own IP address. 

If a new  DHCP requet gets to the Cisco AP with a new mac address as a source but on the same BSS ID, it may be confuse for the AP.

As a bridge, it is expected that AP works like a portal and accept multiples Layer 2 communications through it.

Is there a document that I can reference that shows that the Cisco AP
doesn't support the proposed setup/config?

Maybe. I didn't find. I'm relying on my experience here. Cisco AP in local mode has a split mac address architecture. This means, it is totally limited and depends on the WLC to perform some task for layer2. I don't see how could it perform bridge service without a bridge configuration.

Agreed with Flavio, you would need to set this up as an Autonomous bridge which will permit multiple MAC addresses to connect behind the non-root. It depends on compatibility as well there.. your Vonets bridge might not connect and bridge the traffic to the Cisco Root so would need testing.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card