Views
Helpful
Replies

Establishing HA AP SSO using 5520 wireless controllers using VSS

atifali.zaidi1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts ,

I would like to setup sso for the 5520 wireless controllers and would have the following setup

MDF 1

will have 1X  C1-WSC3850-48XS-S  and it would have 5520 primary controller connected to it

MDF 2

will have 1X  C1-WSC3850-48XS-S and it would have the standby 5520 controller connected to it.

both the MDF's would have connectivity via 2X10G multimode fiber and would stackwise virtual VSS , so the RP port of both the controllers would connect to the switches and not back to back .

I will assign IP addresses to management / redundancy management interfaces from the same subnet etc .

for the RP port , would I need to create just a layer 2 VLAN on the two core switches in MDF and configure the port on the switches where the RP port would connect as "switchport access vlan x" ?

and then enable SSO one by one on the controllers, after doing the rest of the configurations such as

set them on the software version etc .

I am attaching the visio for this , which will help you able to understand the situation .

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes this should work.

As long as both redundancy ports are in the same VLAN this should work. You can take a 169.254.x.x IP address for the RP (if it doesn't select them automatically), it mustn't be routable. Before pairing them, make sure they run on the same software release.

Just put the two RP ports in a separate layer 2 network (VLAN), there are bandwidth and latency requirements for HA SSO but those should not be a concern in your case.

I assume that you will use LAG on the controllers, if so make sure that you configure two "production" port-channels on your core switches; one per controller. Some Cisco documentation has been wrong about this in the past and stated that you should configure one.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card