Views
Helpful
Replies

EWC vs vWLC

DAVIES604
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am after some advice. Can anyone tell me if there is any benefit of deploying the 9800  virtual WLC over running some EWC capable APs? I’m aware the max AP limit for EWC is fairly low, but assuming this isn’t an issue are there any performance benefits. The vWLC has a max throughput of a little over 2Gbps. In an EWC deployment does all client traffic go through the EWC AP? And if so would the EWC AP have throughput up its port speed, so potentially greater than vWLC?

Many thanks

15 Replies 15

Licensing on 9800 is completely different.  The AP needs a license not the WLC.  Read https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/215635-licensing-on-9800-wireless-lan-controlle.html for more info. So the WLC (whether it's AP EWC or 9800) will request a license from Smart licensing for each AP which joins the WLC.  Buying an AP license is now mandatory with every AP you buy.  If you intend to migrate older APs you'll need to purchase DNA licenses for each one.  Cisco have some deals for migration/upgrades - you'll need to speak to your Cisco rep about that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card