cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding which APs are downloading an image

A_Marquez
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade the code on one of our 5508 WLCs from 8.3.143 to 8.5.15. When I try to transfer the new code to the WLC I get this message "At least one AP is upgrading image, download cannot start" I've SSH'd into the WLC and entered "show ap image all" and got this as part of that output:

Total number of APs.............................. 214
Number of APs
Initiated....................................... 0
Downloading..................................... 2
Predownloading.................................. 0
Completed predownloading........................ 0
Not Supported................................... 0
Failed to Predownload........................... 0

How do I find which 2 APs are stuck downloading? When I scroll down the rest of the output all of the primary images for the APs are the same. 

Thanks for any assistance provided. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

I ran into this issue before, and had to reboot the WLC before it would work.  From CLI you will need to use the "reset system forced"  command.  

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

"show ap summary" could help you.

HTH

Rasika

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

A_Marquez,

I had this issue before  and the only way around this is to reboot the WLC,  you will need to use the  "reset system forced" command from CLI

I'm aware of that command but was hoping I could either disconnect or reboot these APs to continue along with transferring the new code so I wouldn't have to wait until later at night to begin this process. 

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

I ran into this issue before, and had to reboot the WLC before it would work.  From CLI you will need to use the "reset system forced"  command.  

I hope this helps

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Go to Monitor > All APs > Change Filter.
2. Under Operating Status, put a tick on "Download".
3. Click Apply.
Alternatively, in CLI use the command 

grep include Download "sh ap image all"

Unfortunately neither of these worked for me. When I used the GUI I didn't get any results and when I used the grep command I only got the same information I already had with the two APs having a download status but not specifically which two. I ended up doing the reset system forced command and rebooted the affected WLC which allowed me to transfer the image. 

That is the fastest way. Something could of been hung on the controller and not which ap. Personally I would of bounced the controller because it takes less time then figuring out which one and having AP’s still fail to download properly.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card