cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flex Connect and per WLAN central switching

mikey71174
Level 1
Level 1

We currently do local switching with Flex Connect on Cisco 5508 WLCs.  However, we are looking to incorporate a guest network that provides one subnet for all of our locations by using central switching only on that WLAN.  This is a new process for us, and I am looking for information on central switching on locally switched APs.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

11 Replies 11

Here is the FlexConnect design guide which should helps you.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob73dg/emob73/ch7_HREA.html

In your case you need to simply define the Guest WLAN & then add it to the AP group where your FlexConnect AP map to . Do not enable FlexConnect local switching on that WLAN & map it to the dynamic interface defined on WLC. That should to the work

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I've done so, and also created an interface on the vlan this wlan will connect to.  However, when I look at the vlan mappings on Flex connect, it shows the centrally switched wlan, and the vlan ID is N/A instead of what it is supposed to be.  Because of this, clients attempting to connect to the new wlan don't even get an IP address, and therefore, never see the login screen and never get connected.

I am having the same issue and am not finding an answer for it.  Can you share what you found and how your resolved this issue?  Thanks

Have the same issues..

is there any update..??

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please refer to the link for H-Reap mode configuration example-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/81680-hreap-modes.html

mikey71174
Level 1
Level 1

I'm guessing no one has an answer for me at this point, as all replies have stopped.  My configurations match everything noted below.  The H-REAP documentation is not up to date to match the software version we're using (7.6.130.0).  I still don't understand why the Vlan ID is not showing on the flex connect settings for the centrally switched Wlan.

mikey71174
Level 1
Level 1

The Flex connect, and especially the H-REAP documents do not help me one bit.  They outline the WLC settings, but I need to see where the missing link is.  The screenshot I provided showing the centrally switched wlans should not show N/A for the vlan ID, rather, it's supposed to reflect the vlan identifier programmed on the interface.  For some reason I can't figure out why this is happening.

mikey71174
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to figure this out on my own a while back.

I mean, that's good for you, but it would certainly be helpful if you posted the solution you discovered.  You came here looking for help from other people, it would be nice if you helped the community back by illuminating us on what you found.

Could you please share the information with us? I'm having the same problem.

I'm going to share with you what I discovered.

For an SSID to allow the USE of Flexconnect, enter the SSID in the Advanced menu and activate the FlexConnect Local option.

Juan_Ramon_Perez_2-1718850611717.png

Later on the AP activate the FlexConnect option in the AP mode.

Juan_Ramon_Perez_3-1718850646316.png

Later in the FlexConnect menu, check the VLAN Support option.

Within the VLan Mappings option, configure the site's local VLANs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card