Views
Helpful
Replies

FlexConnect and AAA override VLAN and IPv6

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi board,

I'm just browsing the 8.2 configuration guide of the WLC and stumbled upon this:

With FlexConnect local switching, Multicast is forwarded only for the VLAN that the SSID is mapped
to and not to any overridden VLANs. Therefore, IPv6 does not work as expected because Multicast
traffic is forwarded from the incorrect VLAN.

I don't get the point here. So any VLAN, including the overriden VLAN is allowed on the trunk between AP and switch. So IPv6 RA and ND packets should be perfectly bridges between the wired network and the WLAN client.

Is this really still a limitation or is this just a documentation bug?

Is someone using FlexConnect locally switched WLANs with AAA override and IPv6?

Thanks

Johannes

2 Replies 2

stefanhart
Level 1
Level 1

I see the same issue with an autonomous access-point with newest IOS on aaa override / dynamic vlan assignment.

IPv6 is unusable on assigned VLANs because no RAs are traversing from wired over the air to the client. On the configured VLAN the RAs are traversing.

As stated in the newest WLC Softwareversion  8.5 under chapter IPv6, "IPv6 is not supported in Flex local switching with AAA override VLAN."

I think this is the same general issue.

Does someone know an workaround?

Or have I to change to an other vendor's AP which is capable of dynamic vlan assignment and switching IPv6 multicast?

--

Thanks stefanhart

This note is not anymore in 8.8, so it might be supported there. If your AP is capable, try the 8.8.125.0 release.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn88mr2.html
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card