Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect AP backup radius server

ConceptsL5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have the following scenario 

3 sites (A,B,C) with 1 WLC located at Site A. We use the same SSID's at every site

all Access points at every site are in flex connect mode. The SSID's are configured for local switching. 

I have three flex connect groups;  the access points in these  flex connect groups are sorted by Site.  

When access points at Site B and C enter standalone mode (lose connectivity with the WLC). I need them to use external authentication with a radius server located on-site but switch back to central authentication via WLC when the AP enters connected-mode. 

I do not want the Access-Points using local authentication. 

5 Replies 5

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

unfortunatly not a current feature available

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Add both servers (Central and Local radius servers) under local authentication for Flex. But in this case you need to add all your AP’s as NAD (radius client). 

by adding the radius servers under local authentication in the flex connect group settings, while that disable the use of the central authentication via the WLC when the AP is in connected mode.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

No as long as the WLAN is configured for central authentication it should only use the local radius as fallback.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/flexconnect.html#ID42

You'll have to test to see how it behaves in reality - how long it takes to failover and failback.
I've only used the local radius for pure local auth not tried switching between them.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Specific description of that behaviour here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/FlexConnect_DG.html#pgfId-43489

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: