cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect behavior difference between different models of APs

bob.winslow
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to understand why an AIR-CAP2702I-A-K9 remains functional when the VPN tunnel to the WLC is lost but an AIR-CAP3802I-B-K9 does not. They are both connected using Flexconnect to the same CT5508 wireless controller. Both models of APs are in LWAP mode as far as I can tell. 

When the connection to the controller is lost, the 2702s appear to still function, but the 3802s appear to go through their association attempt in an endless loop. Any information would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Post the content of the 'endless loop' (well a part of it...) ; also check if there is anything in the controller logs related to that , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

What do you mean by endless loop? Is it rebooting? Is it trying to stablish CAPWAP tunnel?

In Flex mode, whenever a WAN down is detected, the AP goes into standalone mode, and all clients that are connected are kept and they can still forward traffic (as far as there would be connectivity to the far end), but no new clients are allowed to join (this is obvious as authentication is managed by the WLC).

In the meanwhile, the AP would go through CAPWAP discovery trying to re-stablish connection, and this happen to all Cisco APs in whatever mode they are, and this process is endless until the AP joins the WLC.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

What version of software are you running on that 5508?
If not already on 8.5.182.11 (link below) then suggest you update and then check behaviour again.
As @JPavonM said continuously searching for a WLC is normal and still continues while the AP is in standalone mode.
The key question is really whether the locally switched, locally authenticated SSIDs continue working?

2702 and 3802 run completely different operating systems (IOS and AP COS) so there are many differences in logs and messages you'll see on the console.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card