cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

forcing access points to a different controller

Eric Lindsey
Level 1
Level 1

We have two wism2 controllers. We have our access points split on the two controllers. I need to move all of the access points on controller 1 to controller 2 so we can perform maintenance on one if our 6500s. Is there and easy way to force all of the access points off the controller without changing any access point configs? I was hoping I could make a change in the controller in such a way that it would not accept any access points. If I had an ap manager interface I think I could do it but that is long gone now. Any thoughts?? Code level is 7.0.220.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I typically would script commands to change the primary and secondary when making changes to a WLC that requires a reboot or might affect clients. Then I would have another script that would set the correct primary and backup back to what I had them. To me this is easy because I can change 100+ in a few seconds.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If each AP doesn't have the primary/secondary settings, then on the WiSM-2, go to Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration.

You enter the details of the primary controller you want to APs to go. 

Eric Lindsey
Level 1
Level 1

Each ap already has the primary and secondary setup.

You can configure LAP template from WCS or NCS , there you can change primary to be secondary and secondary to be primary and add all the APs to that template.

After that just modify the template and push it back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Don't Forget to rate correct answers

Ok, I'd go with Scott.  If you have the primary/secondary settings per AP then get an Excel spreadsheet and change the details this way.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I typically would script commands to change the primary and secondary when making changes to a WLC that requires a reboot or might affect clients. Then I would have another script that would set the correct primary and backup back to what I had them. To me this is easy because I can change 100+ in a few seconds.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card