cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Google Home Mini on Cisco 9115 APs

jeremy0463
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have a single google home that will not stay connected to wireless. This is a network consisting of only two 9115aps and nothing else in the network its having the issue. There is a single google home that disconnects daily and will not reconnect to the network without a reboot. Is there some setting I might be missing for IOT devices, especially google? I did not have this problem with this google device on a standard SOHO Wifi router.

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Google Home mini required secure SSID - is this your SSID Secure ? or open SSID with MAC authentication, then you need to change that.

that is bizzard saying it required reboot to connect ?  before rebooting on the WLC do you see the device still connection or lost the connection ? not that it keep trying (and got in to rejected list ?)

two 9115aps  - device try to roam and failing ? try one of the AP turn off and check ? (do you see the stability ?

check this thread also can be helpful may be :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/google-home-mini-and-cisco-5508-wlc/td-p/3773165

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/trouble-seeing-google-home-devices-between-aps-cisco-2504/td-p/4030401

by the what code running on these device, they are EWC or you have WLC controller ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It’s a secure SSID using wpa2. This is bizarre. I have been racking my brain. Before the reboot, no, the device is not listed under clients. It is also not listed in the excluded list. The moment I reboot the mini, it reconnects fine until it drops again. I doubt that it’s roaming because it’s about 10 feet from one ap and 50 feet from the other. They are EWC. I’ll disconnect one of the AP and see if the problem persists

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If rebooting the Google Home Mini fixes things, it may look like a Google Home Mini could be having issues. 

Update the firmware of the Google Home Mini recently?

I would think so too but since it works on a standard cheap router just fine that leads me to look to the configuration

What firmware is the AP on?

Downgrade the AP firmware to 17.6.X and observe.

What would be the reason to downgrade to that version?

@jeremy0463 wrote:
What would be the reason to downgrade to that version?

Glad you asked. 

I have observed that the last two releases of AP firmware has significant "performance" impact to APs with Broadcom chipset (which the 911X has).  And in the last 3 weeks, the developers are reluctant/hesitant to issue an APSP (aka, a "patch") to fix some of the issues reported.

My only recommendation is to downgrade the firmware and see if it improve things.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card