cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE Tunnels on 4408 Wireless controllers. possible?

jtlampe0316
Level 1
Level 1

I have been tasked by my boss of finding out and implementing a solution of building GRE tunnels from 2 4408 Wireless controllers system for a guest wireless network. I am but a low CCNA wireless, working on getting motivated for CCNP wireless, but I didn't even know if this was possible and if it was where to begin. I have been reading configuration guides but figure I should ask the wireless experts of the world of Cisco. So oh great ones please offer me your guidance. . Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

None of the Cisco WLC's have configuration to support GRE.  I also think you mean a 4402 or 4404 not a 4408?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

None of the Cisco WLC's have configuration to support GRE.  I also think you mean a 4402 or 4404 not a 4408?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Just to add... you could place another 4402-12 in the DMZ and create a eoip tunnel which would tunnel traffic from the internal WLC or foreign WLC to the DMZ wlc.  You could also not use LAG and specify one port on the WLC for the guest and connect that to a non routed vlan or acl vlan to the dmz or connect that directly to the dmz. Here is a link that can help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/guest_access/technical/reference/4.1/GAccess_41.html

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As what Scott has mentioned, a WLC is a wireless SWITCH. 

jtlampe0316
Level 1
Level 1

Well then that comfirms I am not crazy and i ment 4404 we also use 5508 and i get them mixed up sometimes. sorry for the confusion and thanks for the info.

No problem... the one thing is, if you are moving from the 4400's to the 5508's, you can always reuse the 4400's and put them in the dmz.  Just something to think about.  

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Let me also add... I had a few customers confuse the GRE for EoIP tunnel. If you anchor controllers this path is EoIP close relative to GRE.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I might suggest, if you do a DMZ that you TAG all your traffic. Ive had a problem in the past where I didnt tag the traffic and we suspect the traffic was leaking vlans in the WLC. After we tagged the traffic, issue went away.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin