Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest LAN and WLAN on Controller

dsuhas321
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

While creating new ssid, i can see the option guest lan and wlan, whats the difference? which one is preffered?

Thanks in advance..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I remember answering this few days and also George joined the thread.. or max week back..

Guest LAN WLAN =

1> The clients connecting to the WLAN will have a time limit on the connectivity, for example you can configure the Guest WLAN for 24 hours or something which you want..

2> I guess George pointed this in the previous thread.. Can be used for Wired Guest Users configuration as well , here is the link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008070ba8f.shtml

WLAN =

Just nothing but a SSID with security which doesnt have any time limit.

which one is preffered? =

Its your network and what ever meets your requirements you can use that.. however both of them does its job with different features involved.

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I remember answering this few days and also George joined the thread.. or max week back..

Guest LAN WLAN =

1> The clients connecting to the WLAN will have a time limit on the connectivity, for example you can configure the Guest WLAN for 24 hours or something which you want..

2> I guess George pointed this in the previous thread.. Can be used for Wired Guest Users configuration as well , here is the link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008070ba8f.shtml

WLAN =

Just nothing but a SSID with security which doesnt have any time limit.

which one is preffered? =

Its your network and what ever meets your requirements you can use that.. however both of them does its job with different features involved.

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks Surendra BG.  George your thought on this?

Depends on your needs. What are you trying to accomplish ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I dont want the users to logged off after the time period, I can use the Local net user without checking Guest, will this work?

So you want accounts that never expire?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin