Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest wireless - too slow to get an IP

mchockalingam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am testing our new guest wireless using anchor controllers in the DMZ. The data path and the control path are both up and I can do eping and mping. The WLAN is configured to do a web passthrough. Whenever I try connecting to this new guest SSID, it always gets a 169.254.x.x address and it takes about 60 to 90 seconds before I get the right IP.

Currently, I am using the internal DHCP server on the anchor controllers since I only have a couple of users testing it but eventually I am planning to move the DHCP services to an external server.

Does anyone know why it is taking a long time to get an IP and start working?  The client's MAC address shows up on the foreign controller and shows the status as associated and the policy manager status shows "RUN". I cannot seem to find any problems other than the slowness initially. Once I am connected, everything works as I expected.

Any ideas?

Meena

1 Reply 1

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What code are you on ? There are known issues (bugs) with 6.x and 7.x code. In fact cisco has a special TAC release 7.0.98.4 that fixes the DHCP issue.

I would however, not use the DHCP on the controller. You have problems with leases after reboot etc ... Best to put it on a real DHCP server.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin