Views
Helpful
Replies

HA WLC 2504

Tazio4436
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have  WLC 2504 with 2 SSID and about 12 APs connected.

Now i have been tasked to add a second WLC 2504 as backup.

I have never done this in the past and even the first WLC  was done with the help from someone here.

I have tried to match the second WLC as close as posible to the fist one and I an access it through browser but it is not working.

I have checked this in the first WLC

Wlc1.PNG

Under wireless tab---->ALL AP and the under the AP in High Availabiliry I have set the 2 controllers

AP.PNG

Please see the name and ip address of the Controller above.

I am not sure what to put here under Wirelss--->Global configueartion and the warning said that once the ip is set it cannot be removed that is why I need some help.

HA.PNG

can somone please help me or let me know how to do the HA if I am going in the wrong direction.

Thanks

Tazio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Take one AP for testing and swap primary & secondary controller configuration high availability tab. In that way, you can test whether 2nd WLC accepting AP registration. 

Check WLC time, WLC licences, Country Code on 2nd WLC, if you have issues of AP registering to it. Pls attache AP console output while it is trying to register for 2nd WLC in the above scenario.

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

You can ignore that wireless-> global config, it takes preference for Primary & Secondary configuration under AP High Availability. Pls make sure you use the exact sysname of your WLCs in that section (Name setting of that High Availability config)

HTH

Rasika

Hello Rasika,
Thank you very much for your reply.
There was a mistake in the sysname and I have corrected that.
Please see e attached file.I cannot see any AP in the WLC_SECONDARY controller.
Thanks
Tazio

Hello Rasika,
Thank you very much for your reply.
There was a mistake in the sysname and I have corrected that.
Please see e attached file.I cannot see any AP in the WLC_SECONDARY controller.
Thanks
TazioFile 4.PNG

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The AP will move to the secondary WLC if the primary goes offline.  

Tazio4436
Level 1
Level 1

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Thank you very much for your reply.I will try the failover tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Tazio

Hi,
I tried to simulate an outage by just doing a shut on the port where the first WLC is connected and it went down but the secondary WLC did not see any AP still.

Thanks
Abhi

Hi

Did you solved this issue?

BR

Yan Bedia

No waiting for a reply as the secondary controller does see any AP

Thanks

Tazio

Take one AP for testing and swap primary & secondary controller configuration high availability tab. In that way, you can test whether 2nd WLC accepting AP registration. 

Check WLC time, WLC licences, Country Code on 2nd WLC, if you have issues of AP registering to it. Pls attache AP console output while it is trying to register for 2nd WLC in the above scenario.

HTH

Rasika

Hello Rasika and All,

Thank you very much.

The issue was the country code, Date and Time. I struggle a lot to change these setting as I did not know how to do it but read forums and finally now I know how to do it. Once I change those 2 settings and simulate an outage on my primary WLC I could see all the APS registering with the secondary WLC. I then brought the second WLC out of service and all the Aps went back to the Primary WLC.

The only hic here is that although all the Aps could be seen on the secondary WLC I could not see the SSIDs on any device hence could not browse.

Thanks a lot

Tazio

Hello Rasika,
I will do what you told me in the morning.

I have another quick question.

Do i need to connect the 2 WLC physically to each other because they are not right now.

They are connected on same subnet on same switch.

Thanks

Tazio

The 2504 doesn’t support SSO so no direct connection is required. You should not start changing how things are so that you can figure out what happened.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: