Views
Helpful
Replies

Hotel Wifi Best Practice

michaelzanatta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about the best practices for configuring a hotel (or campus) Wi-Fi guest connection.

Suppose there are 1500/2000 devices; is it correct to use, for example, a 10.1.x.x/21 network, or is it better to split the network into multiple VLANs/subnets (for example, on each floor)? In the second case, how do you manage when a guest moves, for example, from floor 4 to floor 2, and ensure he remains connected to the network?

Thank you so much.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I can't see the need for multiple subnets with this relatively small amount of clients, which on wireless for instance don't see each other (by default). You will never be able to ensure that they remain on the network when moving because clients are autonomous ; the only parameter 'helping' is 'coverage everywhere'  which is the biggest challenge , depending on the degree of service one is willing to offer to customers (so the quality of the wireless infrastructure becomes a more determining factor for connectedness)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Ok, so a /21 or a /20 network doesn't affect so much in WiFi experience for clients? 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would recommending splitting the subnet into /24 (multiple VLANs). 

In both AireOS and IOS-XE, it is possible to create a VLAN Group/Dynamic Interface Group and "bundle" different VLANs together.  

Take down one subnet (maintenance or fat-finger) will not affect the others.  

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I'm with @marce1000 - we don't have any problems using subnets of that sort of size but as @JPavonM says definitely make sure you use ARP proxy and block peer to peer (which you should be doing in a guest environment for security anyway).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card