cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many users per 3500 series AP

dcarr3311
Level 1
Level 1

I am am building a new office and trying to come up with the proper number of access points i'm going to need. What is a good number to use regarding number of wireless users per AP?

thanks for your thoughts

3 Replies 3

raga.fusionet
Level 4
Level 4

Hi There,

Cisco recommends that you should have no more than 25 clients per AP.

HTH.

Raga

Hello,

Just to elaborate a bit further -- the acceptable number of clients per radio could vary widely between deployments. It really depends on how much bandwidth your users and applications will require. For this reason there is no definitive recommendation.

Just for example purposes: 

40 laptops simply browsing text articles vs 5 clients streaming HD video.

So an important step in this process is to determine the requirements for your devices.

-Patrick Croak

Wireless TAC

Im going to cut and paste a post i just did for another question that may better help ..

I concur with Leo. You need to  remember one very very imporant fact about 802.11 access points  (regardless of the vendor) and that is that they are all HALF DUPLEX.

So  take what you know about HUBs on the wired and apply similar ideas to  that over wireless BUT hadd fudge to the wireless side becuase of the  extensive mangament overhead.

Only  1 wifi device on channel can talk at a time. So, as Leo pointed out. If  you have hungry bandwidth users you could see issues.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin