cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add extra AP licenses on Cisco 2500 wireless controller?

MK.SH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Currently, I have 10 APs and would like to add extra 5, problem is I get no reply from tftp server error.

I've already enabled the port on inbound and outbound on the firewall, still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Cisco License.pngtftp.png

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Can you ping the tftp server from the WLC ?

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First thing can you ping the TFTP server? And there are no ACLs/ Firewalls preventing TFTP traffic both ways.

Have you successfully TFTP other files to or from the WLC?

The next part is in the WLC TFTP part add:

tftp://server_ip /path /filename

Details on adding licences here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-2/config-guide/b_cg82/b_cg82_chapter_0100.html

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes, I can ping the TFTP server.

Yes, I have done this before.

Also, I opened the port on firewall.

Test your TFTP with another device, for example, a switch.

Have you ensured that the filename is correct:
tftp://<server_ip>/<path>/<filename including extension>

Also have you confirmed the licence file is actually in the tftp directory.

You could also try from the WLC CLI:
license install tftp://<server_ip>/<path>/<filename including extension>

I have had issues in the past with Windows being the TFTP server and getting another device to pull down files. Make sure that Windows Firewall and AV is allowing the connection. There was also I believe a bug with some versions of TFTPD32 on windows 10
Try from a switch for example to pull down a txt file, to confirm not an issue with the tftp server / windows device.
*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you everyone who helped me with this issue, I finally found the problem and its fixed now. The main problem was I forgot to start the services during installation. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card