Views
Helpful
Replies

how to check client current data rate in mbps

Noovi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

When client connects WLC through AP it shows below with resepect to data rates.

Current Rate..................................... m9 ss2
Supported Rates.................................. 6.0,9.0,12.0,18.0,24.0,36.0,
............................................. 48.0,54.0

I can understand there is separate chart with respect to mcs value (0-0) and spatial stream which shows connection speed.

But how to identify if client is connected with 6mbps,9mbps,12mbps or 24mbps data rate?

Actually i want to know this because i am going to disable 6,9,12mbps data rates on WLC and i want to ensure that clients are not connected on these 6,9,12mbps data rates

9 Replies 9

Hi @Noovi 

If you have data rates 6,9,12mbps  you will see clients using that. Management traffic will be sent at the lowest data rates which in your case will be 6 Mbps.

The right thing to do is disable those data rates. This is the best practice.

But, if you want to see clients data rate you can do as follow.

Considering the chart, if client is m9 ss2 you need to consider the channel width. Let´s say you are using 40Mhz channel as your client have 2 Spatial Stream (ss2) if you are using 800ms Guard interval the Data rate will be 360Mbps. If your guard interval is 400ms the Data rate will be 400Mbps.

But, as mentioned, this is user data traffic.  The management traffic will use the lower data rate possible.

FlavioMiranda_1-1689266324075.png

chart shows that what connection speed client will get.

but i think we will not be able to find which exact data rate client is working for e.g.6mbps or 9mbps or 12mbps.

am i right?

It does.  A client with M0SS1 is 6Mbps.

that means  client will always use low data rate?

For management traffic (RTS, CTS,etc). Client data like voice, video, etc will be at higher data rate possible.

how to see details for data rate m11 ss2 ?  as table shows data till 9.

@Noovi  M11 is 802.11AX. The table I share before was for 802.11AC.

https://semfionetworks.com/blog/mcs-table-updated-with-80211ax-data-rates/

FlavioMiranda_0-1690374613084.png

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/how-to-check-the-client-connection-throughput-for-wireless-users/m-p/2946841#M82425

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

In order to disable lower rates, which are used to support connectivity when moving far from the AP, you need to verify that devices will keep connected to the WLAN in all required areas. If you disable it, you can create coverage holes only becuase there are no options to use lower rates from the device point of view.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card