cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check the monitoring ap doing the scanning on all 2.4 and 5ghz channels(cisco 9130)

MandipSingh5556
Level 1
Level 1

cisco 9130 two ap mode is monitor mode and rest in local mode,How we can check the the scanning list and data of monitor mode ap?,, i try few commands but did not get through,, as of now I dont have just controller(8.10.121.0 and cisco 9130 aps..to check ..

I below command , it does not show any scanning list

(Cisco Controller) >show ap monitor-mode summary

AP Name Ethernet MAC Status Scanning Channel List
------------------ ----------------- ---------- --------------------------------------------
09-03-10 0c:55:bd:b1:1c:2c
09-03-05 0c:55:bd:b1:19:5c

(Cisco Controller) >

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Take a look at this document to understand more about what is monitor mode and the various functions since you have an AireOS controller.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/wireless_quality_of_service.html
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,
I checked the document but did not get the way to check the output of monitoring mode Ap.

I want to check the real time channel scanning summery of monitor mode Ap.

Idea is just to check what monitor mode Ap doing in this mode to ensure it is scanning all 2.4 and 5ghz channels ?

Pls let me know if need more clarification.

The channels that AP will monitor will be taken from the DCA list. 

I am not clear what information you are looking for from this AP in monitor mode, can you elaborate?

Saludos,
Rafael - TAC

Hi Rafael,

I want to check the monitoring mode Ap channel scanning from cli..

I saw , after changing the mode of Ap from local to monitoring mode , Ap stops sending beacons(radiating ).

Now in next step, I want to ensure Ap is scanning all channels and want to take that output from cli or gui.

Thanks

Scanning happens very fast. I don’t believe there is a command that will populate the scan itself if that is what you are look for. Seems like you just need to trust the feature.
-Scott

Thanks for your reply,,

Wondering there is no any command to see what’s happening while in Aruba it’s very easy to see what’s going on in air monitor ..

How we can justify monitoring Ap is suitable for wips(containing rouges ) fast than normal Ap ?

And also useful for location services ?
Will appreciate your reply
Thanks

Different vendor do different things. The doc explains the feature and how it works. The difference also between Cisco and Aruba is than Aruba you need to have a monitor ap, where as Cisco, AP’s that are client serving still perform off channel scanning and there is no need for a dedicated monitoring ap. The monitor and other modes allows for spectrum analysis to a tool that is supported, faster channel scan due to always scanning, etc. the higher end AP’s have a separate silicon chip that does this so it can still be client serving.
-Scott

Hi, still I have question that how to check the monitoring Ap work? Using cli or GUI

Open a TAC case and maybe they can help you or put in a feature request with your SE.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card