cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Convert Cisco Aironet 1702 from Autonomous to Lightweight

stanley_cwy
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a Cisco Aironet 1702 AP. During initial testing, I have changed the operation mode from unified mode to autonomous mode by using command capwap ap autonomous.

Now I would like to convert it to lightweight mode. I wonder if there is any command that I can issue to make the changes or I have to convert it with the usual method by uploading the lightweight image?

Hope to get some advice here. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Go to the Cisco website and download the RCV file. 

Un-pack the RCV file into the AP using the command "archive download-sw tftp://<TFTP IP address>/RCV_file.tar" and then reboot the AP.  

Hi Leo Laohoo,

Due to time constraint for my testing, I have used the conventional way as per you reply in the post and converted the AP to lightweight mode.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. All the new Cisco AP comes with universal IOS, regardless of lightweight or autonomous AP, in fact it comes with only 1 SKU (for example the 1700 Series AP). My understanding is this AP can be configured as either lightweight or autonomous mode with just a command issued without changing the IOS. In my case, is either I missed out the command or the AP really required a different IOS for different mode. I am checking with SAC to clarify on this.

Thanks.

I am familiar with the command to change the AP from lightweight to autonomous, config capwap ap autonomous.  The reason why this was added because if you didn't purchase a valid service contract, you would not be able to download autonomous IOS for free, while if you can download the RCV file to enable the AP to operate in controller-base.  

I don't believe there is a "reverse" command to convert the AP from autonomous to light-weight.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card