Views
Helpful
Replies

How to convert IOS Image from Mobility express to CAPWAP for Cisco1852

kick534
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

I have Cisco AP 1852i Series Access points with Mobility express IOS Image, i want to convert  to CAPWAP ,

I already download the IOS fro Cisco Software site : ap1g4-k9w8-tar.153-3.JPL.tar

Most of the link i followed still the iOS not upgrading,

Connectivity between Switch, PC and Access Points ping end to end.

kindly find the attached screen short and help me to solve the issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Actually cisco/Cisco. I know it works because I've tested it myself. After reset:

User Access Verification
Username: cisco
Password:

AP84F1.xxxx.xxxx>en
Password:

AP84F1.xxxx.xxxx#

That's from console logs following that exact procedure on an 1832 running ME 8.10.130.0 (MAC partially obfuscated obviously)

Are you sure you confirmed at the prompt after entering capwap ap erase all?

Once the AP joins a WLC it will download the correct image for the WLC version as well as default AP config from the WLC.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Your problem is related to image transfer, can be something with TFTP not necessarily connectivity. But, actually you dont need a new image. Just type:

conf t

ap-type capwap

Thanks for your reply,

For Mobility Express Access Points we need to go through with initial configuration first before going to mode AP#(ap-type Capwap)

I have a doubt now in Initial configuration we need to configuring IP address, SSID Details, Username & Password, then we are going in AP# Ap-type Capwap, So once the AP join the Controller it will erase the configuration existing in it ???

and Once the device get updated from Existing Wireless controller and automatically download the new CAPWAP image from the WLC. the existing configuration will be erased and new AP will start with default configuration ????

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. Go through initial ME setup 

2. Login to ME

3. apciscoshell

4. Login to AP using credentials you setup in step 1

5. enable using enable password you setup in step 1

6. ap-type capwap then y at prompt

7. After AP has reloaded (no more ME WLC) login and enable using credentials from step 1 again

8. capwap ap erase all then enter to confirm and then you have a factory defaulted CAPWAP AP.

Your original problem is with TFTP not the AP so something not configured correctly on your TFTP server.  Maybe not listening on correct interface, maybe blocked by firewall for example.

Thank you for your response,

I configured the AP as per your steps, Kindly find the attach Log report for AP.

and Below console msgs : I believe now the AP is in CAPWAP Mode please confirm ??

[*01/24/2022 23:00:23.9148] CAPWAP State: Discovery

[*01/24/2022 23:00:23.9148] Discovery Request sent to 10.10.10.11, discovery type STATIC_CONFIG(1)

[*01/24/2022 23:00:23.9248] Discovery Request sent to 10.10.10.11, discovery type STATIC_CONFIG(1)

[*01/24/2022 23:00:23.9248] Discovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255, discovery type UNKNOWN(0)

After Review the attach report Please advise, and more thing Still i need to  Login to AP using credentials i configured in STEP-1,

If the Device erased all the configuration i believe i have to login with default username/password  right ???

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes that's now in CAPWAP mode and yes it will now be default credentials until it joins the WLC when it will be configured by the WLC.

Ok now the AP in CAPWAP Mode, But Still the Credentials Am using the Same what i Configured ???

Default Should be Cisco/Cisco right ???

Or Once The AP Join the Controller it will download the image and Configuration from WLC ???

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Actually cisco/Cisco. I know it works because I've tested it myself. After reset:

User Access Verification
Username: cisco
Password:

AP84F1.xxxx.xxxx>en
Password:

AP84F1.xxxx.xxxx#

That's from console logs following that exact procedure on an 1832 running ME 8.10.130.0 (MAC partially obfuscated obviously)

Are you sure you confirmed at the prompt after entering capwap ap erase all?

Once the AP joins a WLC it will download the correct image for the WLC version as well as default AP config from the WLC.

Thank you for your Support.

After following Above Steps Its Working... ( Once the AP connected with WLC, AP Download the image and Configuration.

It will take some time for Download Patches after that working Fine.. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card