cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to design a mesh with 1552 AP and remote antenna ?

benoit.paredes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I must design an architecture for a mesh deployment with 1552 access points. Quote has been done with 1522, but it seems that these access points are in end of life.

On previous deployment I've made with 1522, it was possible to have a remote 5Ghz antenna for the mesh and 2.4 Ghz antenna directly connected to the access point for coverage.

It seems that is not possible for 1552 because there is only 3 antenna dual band and no difference between them. It's a big issue for me, because in my project I must cover an industrial indoor area but i have a mesh between building. How can i do that with 1552 ? is is possible to have a remote antenna on this access point ?

Please let me know if there is something you don't understand.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Benoit

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

here is the link for the 7.0 MESH design guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.0/design/guide/MeshAP_70.html

Even if there is a open area you can still use the 1552 there so long as you have a way to power it. If the problem is the wireless link between the two buildings you could look at the 1524SB as well. Other than that it stays much the same.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Stephen,

Thanks a lot for this answer.

I think that 1524SB is more suitable for my application but i don't really understand the difference with cisco 1522 which is in end of life.

What does "Serial Backaul" mean ?

regards,

Benoit

Most of the MESH AP use a single 5GHz radio for both the uplink and the downlink, which halves your connection speed at each hop as you are repeating the signal.

The 1524SB has two 5GHz radio one for uplink and one for downlink. It was designed for when you need to go long distances. With two Blackhawks you can keep the 54 MBPS link T each hop, or whichever speed your SNR allows. It will also work for a direct shot between two buildings for bridging.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your clarifications.

Im my application i don't need the serial backaul feature. Do you know if it's possible to disable one of  5Ghz radio in order to use it as 1522 access point ?

At the end my 1524 AP will have only 4 antennas. Is it possible ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Benoit

sure, it can be disabled and no need for the antenna there either. So you can still use it to bridge the link.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

benoit.paredes
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Stephen !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card