cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to have newer AP's connect to newest controllers?

Samuel Proctor
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco wireless environment running NCS with a wism, two 4400's, and now two 5500's. The bulk of our AP's are 1131's, however we are now ordering and using 1142's and 3602's. We just added the 5500 controllers in preperation for a large deployment of 1142's. What I would like to do is have the system setup so that the the 1142's will default to the 5500 controllers. Since the wism and 4400 wont support the 3602's its not really an issue for them.

I'm trying to find the best way to accomplish this. I've already heard one suggestion of manually going through and setting all the AP's to a primary and secondary controller but I was hoping to find a way to have the system do this for me. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well its easy to push out the primary and secondary to the 1142's.  For the 3600's or new ap's, you can use option 63 when you are defining the option 43 method.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well its easy to push out the primary and secondary to the 1142's.  For the 3600's or new ap's, you can use option 63 when you are defining the option 43 method.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I'm not sure what you mean by the option 63 or 43. I just bascially inherited the system right as the 5500's were put in place and am still very new to the cisco wireless system. I've used NCS to do some basic config changes but thats about it so far. 

As far as when you say its easy to push out the primary and secondary to the 1142's are you refering to using templates?

Thank you,

Sam

Well take a look at this doc as it explains the use of option 43 and option 63.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

As far as NCS, yes, you create a template and you pus it out to the aps you want to make the changes to.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Here are some other docs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00806c9e51.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00808f8599.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Thank you very much. This will help a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: